New Cold Frame

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
now that is being SS

you find what you need laying around and construct a mini greenhouse/cold frame!!!! good deal.

and I see the cute little foot in the sandbox in the picture too..LOL

Mamadirt

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:D Tanks, that is absolutely a wonderfull idea. Just think, it could be a great house for my pig, a place for mama hen to raise her chicks, so many uses. I love your idea. Jan:thumbsup

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. There are things I will need to learn about greenhouse/ cold frames. I really don't have any experience with them. It always a learning process.

I have thought of many uses for pallets. My DH hates the idea but some are so sturdy and you can make so many things out of them. Tons are always posted for free on craigslist. These just happened to come with the free brick I received. So I confiscated them. :D

Lest see
compost bin with divided sections, animal shelters, I did think about using them for the shelter on a pig run. With some 2 x 4 framing of course.

Who knows I am sure there are unlimited things. I just hope I have some time to finish it this week.
Gina

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gina
pallets are not pressure treated wood usually. they are cheap wood for pallets.

I made a goat shelter...yup, like your mini greenhouse. I put up 3 sides, put a light top pallet over and thick plywood on the floor. The I nailed tarp over it to stop the weather thru the slats etc. etc.

It lasted about 3 years give or take...it started to rot pretty fast actually. It wasn't worth it to me. So if you are thinking long term, then pallets don't cut it.....I tried..LOL I thought I found a gold mine for building small things, well it kinda backfired on me.

they are great for firewood and such. or good for dry places, like a basement or garage to put things on to keep them off the floor...but outside in the damp and in contact wtih moisture, they rot fast.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bummer, well thanks for the info. Like you usually say, if your going to do it do it right the first time".

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I wrapped my little recycling project in plastic today. It was a bit windy so I had a little struggle. It worked out ok. Not sure what to do about the front. I think I might hang a shower curtain on a spring rod in the lower half. Just to try and keep some heat in. I used a gazillion staples. It gets windy on my hill. I don't want it to take off. I did add that middle third rafter. It helped fill in the middle as well as secure the front plastic.

I think it is probably time to move a few of my sprouted seeds out there. They are a bit leggy.

5900_img_0142_1.jpg

5900_img_0144_3.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very cool tanks
nice project!

your property seems "very high up" to me from the pics.
Is the white picket the fence you would be replacing?

just wondering
view seems nice!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow, you really are on a hill! Great view, though and that is a really cool idea. Gotta keep my eye on you gal!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That is so awesome!!! You should be proud of yourself :) I'm going to make my husband come take and look at this and see if we have these things lying around the farm. Now that I'm up to about 8 flats of plants in spring, it's a bit of a pain to haul them in and out of the house every day to gradually harden them off. This would fit the bill!