New Duckling

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the eggs hatched. Poor little guy/girl has a little issue with their left leg/foot though :( and I doubt there's anything I could do. But a baby duck is a baby duck :)

20200816_181344.jpg

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What are you feeding? It could be a niacin deficiency, has you checked for bumble foot? There are plenty of things you can do, are you on backyard chickens? You should sign up, I am Weeg on there, You can tag me, and Fuchsia to your thread if you sign up.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww cute. One of mine had a leg issue at that age. It outgrew the issue and I don't even know which bird it is now. No intervention required.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is she okay?
What are you feeding? It could be a niacin deficiency, has you checked for bumble foot? There are plenty of things you can do, are you on backyard chickens? You should sign up, I am Weeg on there, You can tag me, and Fuchsia to your thread if you sign up.
Aww cute. One of mine had a leg issue at that age. It outgrew the issue and I don't even know which bird it is now. No intervention required.

Sadly, it died. One morning it was fine and then later that day I found its little body in the tall grass.

I couldn't tell you what we were feeding it. My wife has some powder she would or would have me mix into water that was in a 12" plant tray with rocks. The little one would drink that. Same stuff we gave the other ducks when they were younger.

I can't join another forum. I have horror movie forums, this place, Easy Garden, ATV forums, Garden Tractor forums, ... one more specific about birds might be one too many.

I was sad to see that little one die :(. Maybe we'll have more next year

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Its hard to not know what happened so we can avoid it next time. Sometimes we find out. One year most my bottle lambs died. We couldnt figure out why. Next year I was mixing up lamb milk replacer and realized I had mixed it half strength the previous year. I dont think I've lost a bottle lamb since. I felt awful, but I still think its better to know. I hope your 2021 hatches are successful! Thank you for popping back in and updating!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Its hard to not know what happened so we can avoid it next time. Sometimes we find out. One year most my bottle lambs died. We couldnt figure out why. Next year I was mixing up lamb milk replacer and realized I had mixed it half strength the previous year. I dont think I've lost a bottle lamb since. I felt awful, but I still think its better to know. I hope your 2021 hatches are successful! Thank you for popping back in and updating!
Been so busy with tree farm work closing out the season and then at least 6 inches of snow today.
20201020_173037.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was surprised by the snow! I'm in WI. Are you nearby? I dont follow the news so I dont know how much area was affected by the snow.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We didn't get any snow here along the Lake Michigan lakeshore in WI. We didn't get much rain either, just enough wetness to keep me from sweeping leaves.