New from Arizona

Mary-AZ

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just found this forum today. I have lived fairly frugally most of my life; I try to be self reliant tho things don't always work out that way. currently I am breeding chickens; some for show, a lot for meat and eggs. This years garden so far has been a bust due to our drought. It is finally raining some after four dry months. Perhaps the fall garden will do better if I can get rid of the varmints. The rats and squirrels have been terrible this year, eating everything right down to the ground.

So just me, my Maremma (Italian sheepdog/livestock guardian dog), two kittens, about eighty chickens and a dozen ducks. On twenty acres of hilly desert scrubland. Anyone else from AZ>

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS :frow I hope the weather changes and you'll get some much needed rain soon! What breed(s) chickens do you keep and show?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ducks! what breed of ducks? I have Khaki Campbells, Golden Cascades and 2 gorgeous Cayugas

Mary-AZ

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am breeding and will be showing this fall, Black Copper Marans, Buff Plymouth Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and Blue Ameraucanas. I am also breeding up my layer flock of easter eggers and olive eggers to be bigger and meatier ;-) I have one pair of blue Muscovy ducks left (predators) and some Welsh Harlequins.

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome to Sufficient Self! I keep Black Australorps and Barred Rocks! Love my babies. :)

Enjoy this site!