New from Western Mass

Dreamstar732

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

Hi Everyone, My name is Jen. I am here to learn! I currently am in an apartment, but dream of a home in the woods and homesteading or being as self-sufficient as possible.

I also joined BackyardChickens.com to learn. I enjoy Backwoods Home and Self-Reliance Magazines but am looking forward to actually having people to talk to about aspects of homesteading.

Basics about myself:
I am a 40-year-old Christian Lesbian who takes care of the elderly for work. I adopted a rescue dog Bailey (on my avatar) in October who has been my life for these past 5 months. He was abused :( and has been learning to trust and is enjoying his life at home and at doggie daycare.

I love being outside, as much as I can! My dream is to just drop a house in the woods, near God made water! And to raise a family there! I love all kinds of animals, crafting (esp. needle crafts), and playing board and card games. I also enjoy music (listening and singing), reading and writing.

In addition to learning, I'd be interested in making likeminded friends and purchasing fresh eggs if anyone sells theirs in my area. (My area goes basically from Amherst Ma to Springfield Ma, and out about 20 miles each way!)

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And welcome from VA. Closer to ya than TX but, NOT close enough to get my plentiful eggs 🤣 sorry.

Dreams do come true...one day a house in the woods. Until then, do you have a balcony at your apartment? Thinking pots of veg plants, 😁

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...Sometimes the frozen fruit is cheaper and better quality than even what you can buy at farmers market and it makes good jams or syrups.

yes, we quit buying shipped in strawberries a few years ago after being repeatedly disappointed at no flavor and poor quality otherwise too. frozen sliced is going for $2/lb or less most of the time (in larger bags). frozen whole have also been a disappointment - i don't think we'll get those again either.