New here and to self sufficiency :)

Littlemamaof3

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am fairly new to all this and need ideas for just starting out. My husband, myself, our two boys (8 and 4), a baby boy due any day, 3 dogs, 5 guineas, a pony, a miniature donkey, and 2 cats live in southeastern Oklahoma on 10 acres. My husband works off for 28 days at a time so it is just me and the boys almost all year round. Any and all ideas, tips and tricks would be awesome. I don't get to get on the internet that often except from my phone which is a cheapo so I can't see most websites so emails would be amazing!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, littlemama, if your husband is gone for a month at a time, you are already living a 'self-sufficient" life. Are you looking for ways to save money, prepare for crises, simplify life or change food habits? Welcome to this forum. What are you interested in? Do you garden? Trying to live without so many chemicals in your life? Lots of us on here are trying to prepare for weather or other crises that come along. Not really "preppers" in the extreme sense, but just to know that we can live for quite a while without needing to run to the grocery store, or that we can use household items like vinegar, baking soda, etc, to do the job of a chemical cleaner; things like that. If you can read some of the past topics, that will be a wealth of information. And ask questions!

Littlemamaof3

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
lol yes we are! But I am desperately interested in gardening and canning and living as cheaply (and richly) as possible. I want our boys to grow up knowing that they can take care of themselves no matter what. I have been trying to find a planting schedule for zone 7 so I can figure out what needs to be planted but haven't had the best of luck. It's a new year and I want to see how well off we can be by the end of the year.