new here from Pa

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
quote=Beekissed
Sounds like you will be having some fun developing your property! What are your plans for the place?

Well so far they are simple. Just get over there lol.

But in reality we are planning on having a 24x36 horse and goat barn with a room I can milk in. Oh yea now more milking outside :ya A 10x10 or 10x12 root cellar attached to the house basement, under the back porch. I already have my hen house laid out with a large run and I am trying to figure out where I can stick my 3 breeding coops and a place for midget white turkeys I want to raise the summer after we get moved in.

We already have almost ten fruit trees planted that my dad helped me pick out and plant a few years ago before he got sick. We plan to end up having close to 30 different types of trees. Mostly peaches and pears, ( for canning mostly but these seem to be what we eat the most of too.) but also cherries and a few good old varities of apples. I can not wait to have some good granny smith apples to make dumplins out of.

We have two possibly three horse/ goat pastures already laid out. And the fence bought it is just too darn cold to put the posts in right now I think.

I am still trying to figure out how big to make my new garden. I already know I want to cover the back wall of the fence with raspberries. I also am trying to buy my Hubby's grandfather's old 10x10 green house, to make as one of my fence gates to my garden. He passed away in September and I would truly love to have it. We were the few in the family that did not ask for anything when it happened, and I don't want his gram to just say take it. That would not feel right to me but I have found I am even having a hard time asking for it.

Anyway I still need to find a place to put my blueberry plants and grapes and a 10x15 patch of strawberries I have now where we live that I have to take with me when I move.

Eventually I want to have some chestnut trees and some sugar maples too. Not so much because I plan to do anything with them now but may be some day ya know. If I am gonna reforest part of the timbered space. Which is important to hubby and I both, cause we both grew up with this great love of the woods. I want to do it with plants and trees that will not only benefit us but also the wildlife in our area.

And Codey who is 5 says I need to build him a new tree house since he has to leave the one he has now behind.

I guess you can say I am finding it all a little hard to take on at once. We have so very much to do and I know that it is not all gonna happen at once I know. I figure it will be 5 yrs until we get everything done the way we want to have it. I just hope to get the buildings up and the garden and orchard laid out before snow flies next winter. And we get moved before school starts next fall so little guy is in the right school district I don't want to move him mid year. We are looking at it like once we get us and the animals moved we will be there. And we can slowly make it perfect once we are there. God I hope we are right cause for some reason I feel like we are biting off more then we can chew. I just hope we don't choke on it. :hide

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
hey, Im over here too. Sorry to see you go in a few months but hope it works out well for you.
We will still be close it is only about 15-20 miles from where we are now and Hubby will still be in Danville working so we will still see ya! :hugs

Latest posts