New Here -live in North Texas but am moving to Colorado in April

equinecpa

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have to sell some of the horses, I think we have 11 and one donkey (I try not to count). We are moving to a smaller acreage and CO doesn't have the pasture we are lucky to have in North Texas (when we don't have drought). We'll try to get down to 5 or 6 and the donkey. The sheep and ducks are most definitely making the move, as are all the dogs, cats,parrot (much to husbands dismay) and I even think some of the aquarium fish. It will be quite the traveling zoo. Luckily we don't have to do it all at once as hubby will be spending time between both places. I only have a small flock 5 ewes, a ram and 3 lambs.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSGreenemail.jpg

My daughter and her husband live in Eagle, CO... They love it up there!

equinecpa

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Actually the donkey is in with the horses to keep wild dogs/ coyotes away from them. Not so much of an issue now that we don't have any foals, but when we were actively breeding we needed a guardian out there. I have a Pyrenees X I rescued from the shelter for the sheep - jury is still out whether he'll make it as a guardian or not. He's got a wonderful deep bark, but he is rambunctious (he's still less than a year old) . I can't leave him unsupervised with the sheep yet.

equinecpa

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We raise or should I say used to raise Quarter Horses. I say used to raise as we haven't bred any of our mares for 2 years because of the market. We used to just do reining but because that is such a limited market we've branched to barrel horses as well. My husband runs an online horse show site where he promotes development of a well broke horse for any discipline. IPHDA.com

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome from central Kansas! :frow
I grew up in the Denver area, most of my family is still there. One sis lived in Estes Park for a number of years. Gardening will definitely be different for you! Keep us posted.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can't say I blame you for not breeding. The market is horrible.