new Hippocratic oath

flaja

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My family has a long and sordid history with the medical profession. So based on my experience I propose a new Hippocratic oath- not entirely tongue-in-cheek.

Anyone wishing to add MD to their name must declare:

1. I will medicate a patient when I need to and not simply because I can.

2. I will not say a drug has no side-effects until I have taken the drug myself.

3. I will not prescribe any course of treatment I would not submit to myself when in the same position as the patient I am prescribing for.

4. I am not God and will act accordingly.

5. My patients time is more valuable than my own I therefore will not waste it.

6. I believe the patient may know more about his body than I do.

7. I will have no pharmaceutical reps before me.

8. I fully know that I can be and will be wrong some of the time.

9. When my patient speaks, I will listen.

10. Genes mean things.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
11. I will respect my patient's right to refuse any treatment I suggest.

couldn't resist! I like this new oath!

flaja

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
11. I will respect my patient's right to refuse any treatment I suggest.

couldn't resist! I like this new oath!
Your #11 is a given.

I am only taking 1 of the 5 BP drugs my cardiologist says I am supposed to take. I last saw my regular cardiologist in May 2010. He told me that he didnt need to alter my medications or order any other tests as long as my symptoms dont change.

In July 2010 I bought a treadmill and started spending a half hour or more on it 5 or 6 days a week. By the time I had my next cardiologist appointment in September 2010 my average BP getting out of bed in the morning had fallen 17 points. But for that appointment I had to see a substitute cardiologist. The first thing he did was tell me I had to have yet another echocardiogram (painful when you arthritis as bad as I do) and that I had to start taking yet another BP drug (actually a prostate drug that has BP side-effects). I questioned him on his reasons and he said it was just personal preference. I soon thereafter stopped taking all BP drugs. I felt better than I had in 2 years, but my BP skyrocketed.

I spent 2 years taking BP drugs and I couldnt function. I was always dizzy. I had loss of appetite due to one drug on top of excessive weight gain due to another. I was sleeping 10-14 hours a day most days and I was still always tired. My cardiologist insisted that the drugs he was telling me to take didnt have side-effects and I was to see a GP who would order a bunch of tests to find out what was wrong with me. I refused to see a GP and the substitute cardiologist I saw in September 2010 tried to bully me into seeing one. He claimed I could have vaccinations- which I object to on moral grounds since some of them are made with aborted babies. He claimed I could have cancer screenings- and thus be crippled by cancer treatment as my uncle and grandfather were and still end up dead from cancer.

I had to see a GP this past June due to gout. My mother has gout as did her mother. But the GP insisted on blood tests- and then wouldnt tell me what else my symptoms could mean so I had to wait another 3 months to see him again and be told I have gout. In the meantime the GP insisted that I start taking one of the BP drugs again. The dizziness and fatigue have returned but my BP is still sky-high. So now the GP wants me to go back to a cardiologist to find out why my BP is so high. Like all idiots with MD behind their name he believes he can find some magical combination of drugs that will lower my BP without making me bedridden. My mother has had high BP since the mid-1990s. She has taken as many as 15 different BP drugs at the same time, but her BP is still so high her doctors have simply told her to live with it. Thus #10 in my Hippocratic oath.