New kitchen, new cooking style

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My goal is less packaged, more homemade. But of course, with four kids, and my new hobby (140 chickens!), time still won't be unimportant. I'm moving to the country on Saturday and will be close to a farmer's market and some pick your own farms and I'm joining a buying club in September and will be buying more in bulk and will have to start learning about saving food as inexpensively as possible. I have a vacuum sealer but those bags are expensive!

So, my question is, where do I start? I guess the answer is different for every family.

My kids eat tons of cold cereal for breakfast and quick snacks and don't like homemade granola unless it has a TON of sugar (funny, since I buy low or no sugar cold cereals).

Pancake mix would save money since we go through the better part of a package in one meal but how much of it can we go through? We only have pancakes a couple times a month at most, so I'd have to store the grain in the freezer, wouldn't I? THen I have to pay for the electric to keep it cold, so maybe I wouldn't save.

Bread is something that we go through a lot of -- often a loaf a day -- but when I make homemade, they all seem to go nuts and eat as much as I make. ESPECIALLY the dh. How do you control that? Fresh bread is just *SO* good. Perhaps someone as tips on making bulk bread and either freezing the dough or the cooled loaves, perhaps?

Canning always sounds like it ought to save a ton of money over buying prepared food, too, but once you factor in the cost of the jars (even on CL or FC) and the pressure canner (which I need if I'm going to process chicken and soups and beans), then I'm just not so sure. Does anyone have any experience with going to LDS canning centers? I hesitate, as I'm not interested in converting.

Home butchered meat, of course, ought to save money, but I'm finding that it doesn't save as much as I expected. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound, I already ordered 103 broilers to be arriving in September. It's only a 3 month committment, right?

Produce I can blanch and freeze or freeze as is (depending on the item) for using over the winter. My older son goes through a LOT of broccoli and cauliflower, would it save me money to buy in bulk, blanch, freeze and use all winter long? Or would the freezer bill add up to as much as the frozen veggies?

My toddler and older daughter could live on smoothies (aka milkshakes) made with organic milk and frozen fruit. I have to see if I can put away a bunch of fruit, but again, will that save me money or will it just be better quality? Not that quality isn't valuable on its own!

Same with the egg layers, though those are a longer term experiment.

It's too late in the season to do MOST gardening, but I will have a 6' x 2' raised bed planter for a fall crop. I was thinking broccoli & kale with some garlic in pots or the ground, I have to figure the logistics of that out after I arrive at the new house this weekend.

I don't know. I feel like such a newbie. LOL!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just keep it short.

With your options so open now, maybe you need to prioritize. What is most important to you? Projects the family can do together, saving money, having higher quality food, being organic? Pick 1-3 top priorities and focus on those for this year.

I find that if I take things on one at a time, in a while they become habit, just a regular ol' part of life, and then I'm ready to focus on something else new. Otherwise, too much at once can be overwhelming and defeating.

Good luck!

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Projects the family can do together, saving money, having higher quality food, being organic?
Well, I mostly already do natural and organic ($$$), so I guess saving money while continuing to move toward ALL natural and organic. And soothing that paranoid part of me that wants to have three to six months of food saved, that would be nice, but it's not a high priority.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi SandraMort

you sounded just like me....confused on how far to take "the lifestyle" change to being more self sufficient and putting dollar amount against everything I do.

Seriously, no matter how we BUY or produce food we will be spending money. If you can foods, freeze your garden produce, etc....you will have time and money invested ((but you know where this food came from--you got top fresh quality)--that is important.

I thought like you....if I grow this, and take the time to freeze, etc...I am still spending money so what is this saving..LOL....well in the dead of winter when yoiu eat your fresh frozen green beans from the summer harvest, you know right away yoiu did the best possible thing for your meals. So it is a huge payoff to yourself!!!!

Self sufficient is about saving money I believe, but we can't NOT spend money. At some time we will spend money and time to do anything in this life....so the outcome of your hard earned money spent is important. Fresh grown green beans with your money spent to improve the quality in your garden....good money spent, buying frozen veggies from China or something???--LOL---you know..HA HA

It is all personal and individual. Take your situations to your comfort level and smile...cause you did what you wanted and are free to do whatever you want!
:)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Girlfriend I think we have all been there!! I'm new to much of this myself, and all I kept thinking about was "This will cost HOW MUCH???" The start up can be cashy, however, this is how I look at things...

I've processed enough chicken myself to last all winter, I have processed pork (my BIL raises hogs), and I've canned/frozen TONS of veggies and am working on the fruit and bread now. With all that said, yes, its a ton of work, but as of now I won't have to buy hardly anything (foodwise) at the grocery this winter. You read that right...all winter! lol....

So my thought is, if you do the work now, and even pay a bit now, you'll save in the winter months. Especially the way food prices are going up. And something your kids might like...I made homemade bread, then made that into french toast (cooked it all up) and then put it in a ziploc and froze it. They can just go to the freezer, grab a couple of them and pop them either in the toaster or in the skillet and woohoo!! homemade french toast on their favorite bread! I cut it a touch thicker than normal bread so it would stand up to the freezer.

You can also think of this....a 10 cent cucumber seed will produce one plant, that will produce LOADS of cucumbers...relish, salad, etc. Same goes for tomatoes, corn, any veggie, really. So you will save. And as for the canning, you can reuse the jars, just buying lids. You can find a pressure cooker on ebay and just buy new seals, go to yard sales for jars, and some seed companies have the end of season sales, where you can get seeds cheaper.

I do agree that if you try to do it all at once, it will be so overwhelming you'll scream. I've said in a previous thread/post....baby steps!! Oh, and I would suggest a garden journal. Just a notepad that you can jot down the mistakes or kudos so next year you will have a better result.

Have I given you too much? LOL This forum is a great place for everyone new to the SS lifestyle. You'll love it here!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
SandraMort said:
Pancake mix would save money since we go through the better part of a package in one meal but how much of it can we go through?
What about making them from scratch? It's super easy, and then you don't have to worry about mix getting old.

We only have pancakes a couple times a month at most, so I'd have to store the grain in the freezer, wouldn't I? THen I have to pay for the electric to keep it cold, so maybe I wouldn't save.
General comment about paying for freezer electricity (applies to much of the rest of your post too):

A modern energy-efficient chest freezer really uses very little electricity, like $30-60/year or so on average (depends on your electric rates, and size of freezer, and what temperature room you're keeping it in). And aside from 'the more times you open it, the more electricity it uses' it does not take any more electricity to keep a full freezer than a half-full one.

Thus, as long as you have room in your freezer and are opening it sometimes *anyhow*, it costs you essentially NOTHING AT ALL to chuck more stuff into it. In fact a full freezer can survive a longer power outage than a half-full one, so if you've got empty space you're actually better off filling it with food or even with jugs o' water.

Bread is something that we go through a lot of -- often a loaf a day -- but when I make homemade, they all seem to go nuts and eat as much as I make. ESPECIALLY the dh. How do you control that?
Well, uh, tell them not to :p Kids and husbands actually *are* capable of learning to control their appetites. After an appropriate training period, lol. Also, bread freezes pretty well.

Canning always sounds like it ought to save a ton of money over buying prepared food, too, but once you factor in the cost of the jars (even on CL or FC) and the pressure canner (which I need if I'm going to process chicken and soups and beans)
The only ongoing cost is the lids - the jars and rings you reuse every year. See if you can score some at thrift stores, garage sales, or from word of mouth.

I'd suggest postponing the pressure canner and just doing things you can do in a waterbath canner this year -- tomatoes, pickles, and fruits (and jams/jellies/preserves, if you like that sort of thing). It is far less expensive, and you will have PLENTY of other demands on your time and checking account this year ;)

My older son goes through a LOT of broccoli and cauliflower, would it save me money to buy in bulk, blanch, freeze and use all winter long? Or would the freezer bill add up to as much as the frozen veggies?<snip>I can put away a bunch of fruit, but again, will that save me money or will it just be better quality?
Only if you have a many-days power outage and lose the freezer contents. Otherwise, yes, you will probably be break-even or ahead by buying cheap seasonal produce and freezing it (well). See above re: freezer costs :)

It's too late in the season to do MOST gardening, but I will have a 6' x 2' raised bed planter for a fall crop. I was thinking broccoli & kale with some garlic in pots or the ground, I have to figure the logistics of that out after I arrive at the new house this weekend.
I would strongly suggest garlic in the ground, not containers, and maybe let other fall crops wait til next year - you will have WAY plenty of other htings to occupy your attention for the next few months, and as you say, there are always farmers' markets to fill up your freezer with.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
What about making them from scratch? It's super easy, and then you don't have to worry about mix getting old.
I hate pancakes, and my daughter loooooves to cook for the family. My nine year old is a competent enough cook but she does make a mess in the kitchen. It's much easier for her to take out one package and make them than it is for her to take out several packages and start measuring all of the ingredients. And I do not cook first thing in the morning -- I either burn myself or the food. So I either make a homemade mix or buy one.

And aside from 'the more times you open it, the more electricity it uses' it does not take any more electricity to keep a full freezer than a half-full one.
True.

Well, uh, tell them not to :p Kids and husbands actually *are* capable of learning to control their appetites. After an appropriate training period, lol. Also, bread freezes pretty well.
*sigh* I can't get my kids to stop if my husband won't. And he's an adult, not a puppy. You don't "train" your partner. You can ask and he can choose to change or not. And in this case, he chooses not to. It's a sore spot.

The only ongoing cost is the lids - the jars and rings you reuse every year.
Right.

I'd suggest postponing the pressure canner and just doing things you can do in a waterbath canner this year -- tomatoes, pickles, and fruits (and jams/jellies/preserves, if you like that sort of thing).
Yeah, but I need somewhere to put all of my chickens. I mean, some can go into the freezer, but I was thinking of canning a bunch of boneless chicken and chicken soup for quick meals for myself. I *LOATHE* cooking for just myself.

Otherwise, yes, you will probably be break-even or ahead by buying cheap seasonal produce and freezing it
That's the part I haven't figured out -- how much does the broccoli have to cost at which point it costs MORE to freeze it myself?

I would strongly suggest garlic in the ground, not containers, and maybe let other fall crops wait til next year - you will have WAY plenty of other htings to occupy your attention for the next few months, and as you say, there are always farmers' markets to fill up your freezer with.
*grin* You may be right. Food for thought, thanks.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Hi SandraMort

you sounded just like me....confused on how far to take "the lifestyle" change to being more self sufficient and putting dollar amount against everything I do.
I can't do everything at once. I want to do the things that have the most value for my time, based on what I consider important. In this case, if buying/growing, prepping and freezing broccoli doesn't save me any money, there are other ways I would prefer to spend my energy and time. I can't do it all at once.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
I've processed enough chicken myself to last all winter, I have processed pork (my BIL raises hogs), and I've canned/frozen TONS of veggies and am working on the fruit and bread now. With all that said, yes, its a ton of work, but as of now I won't have to buy hardly anything (foodwise) at the grocery this winter. You read that right...all winter! lol....
But that's exactly my point. If I go and do all that work on something that doesn't actually end up saving me money in the long run, it may not be worth it.

I'd love some ideas on how you do the bread in advance.

They can just go to the freezer, grab a couple of them and pop them either in the toaster or in the skillet and woohoo!!
Oh, yeah, I always do at least a double batch and freeze the leftovers. The kids love it!

And as for the canning, you can reuse the jars, just buying lids. You can find a pressure cooker on ebay
You think I will save buying it on ebay even WITH shipping?
OK, I'll look again.

Have I given you too much? LOL This forum is a great place for everyone new to the SS lifestyle. You'll love it here!!
Nah. I like collecting information before I start, then jump in at the deep end. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
SandraMort said:
*sigh* I can't get my kids to stop if my husband won't. And he's an adult, not a puppy. You don't "train" your partner.
Er, sorry, that was a *joke*, I guess 'lol' wasn't enough to be clear. I apologize.

If you don't want them to go thru all your bread in one day and asking them to respect your wishes is insufficient, then just don't make that much bread or don't put it all out at once, right? :) It can go into the freezer -- either a second loaf, or part of 'the' loaf you bake. It's not *quite* as good thawed (although thawing and warming just before serving helps) but it is still pretty good and I find it very handy to have some bread in the freezer.

Yeah, but I need somewhere to put all of my chickens. I mean, some can go into the freezer, but I was thinking of canning a bunch of boneless chicken and chicken soup for quick meals for myself. I *LOATHE* cooking for just myself.
The budget/convenience/homemade-ambitions priorities seem to be getting kinda tangled together here? If you feel it's too expensive to invest in this year, then don't (it will be quite a lot of work canning all that chicken anyhow, and you will presumably have other new-house things to do as well). If you want the convenience of single-serving chicken soup and boneless chicken that can be done equally well, and much more easily, in the freezer (to whatever extent you have the space in there). If OTOH you just want the satisfaction of your jars of chicken sitting on the shelf, then the price isn't the issue. You can't have *everything* ;)

That's the part I haven't figured out -- how much does the broccoli have to cost at which point it costs MORE to freeze it myself?
Well. What is the price per pound you'd pay now (that's pound of actual usable broccoli, not including parts you don't eat), and what is the price per pound of whatever you'd be buying in the winter (I don't know if you would be getting Green Giant frozen broccoli, or california fresh broccoli, or what). Compare the two numbers. There ya go ;)

It will cost you a tiny tiny bit for the electricity to boil water to blanch the broccoli, the electricity to cool it down, and the bags or whatever to freeze them in -- you could actually add those numbers up and include them in your comparison above, or you could just consider 'em fairly negligable as long as the difference in broccoli-price-per-lb is substantial. As mentioned before, there really is no extra freezer cost once you have the stuff cold.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat