New member from Northern Indiana

Kristy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Stopping in for a quick intro. I am also a member of BYC, find me there as KristyAZ.

We have a rural home in Mishawaka, Indiana, about 6 acres. My husband grew up in Mishawaka, but we have been living in Phoenix, Arizona for 7 years and just moved back to Indiana in November 2013. We had 1.25 acres in Phoenix, which if you know Phoenix is HUGE.

Our interest is to be a self sufficient as possible. I love making my own cleaning supplies, cooking, and I'm looking forward to canning for the first time this summer with the harvest from our garden. Of course, love having a flock of chickens and looking forward to my new coop that will house enough to have eggs to sell. And after many years of feeling that raising chickens for food was unimaginable, I am considering having a flock of meat birds (that I will have someone else process) My husband has an interest in wind for power, and is just learning about this. We have a well for water. The more off the grid the better is the direction we are heading. We don't like being dependent on anyone for anything. He would also like to raise our own beef. Understand, we know nothing about that so reading a lot and researching if that is a reasonable endeavor.

We are planning a large tomato garden and pumpkins to sell. And a family garden with a large variety of veggies and fruits. My husband is building me a farm stand to sell our eggs, veggies, etc. this summer.

We are the Harbisons. . .Adrian, Kristy and Chloe. . .Maxx our Persian Cat and Bentley our Maltese. We have a small flock of chickens too. Glad to meet'cha!

Last edited:

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You've come to the right place! Welcome from MN.

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the SS Community!

Glad that you decided to join us.

Kristy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome. Going to explore the boards now. Have a lovely Thursday :)