New Member from Upstate NY

NoFences

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just a brief intro this rainy Saturday morning. I live in upstate NY with my four whippets, a min pin, an ancient lab/shep cross and 7 Toulouse geese...oh, and a sweet little Muscovy duck.

I grew up with parents that grew up in Germany during WWII so was raised to know and appreciate and use all this that grew and could be gathered and obtained in a frugal manner.

A couple of years ago I, along with my S/O began to put our experience to work and are striving to be as sustainable as our lives permit. What a challenge, what fun, how rewarding! We keep two households up, so I have the garden here, along with the above fowl.hatched in an incubator here. As they mature they will be moved to his place....in the meantime I have baby geese under a heat lamp in my bathroom, and the rest of various ages safely ensconced in the garage and moved to outdoor pens during the day.

We can and freeze and dry and butcher....forgot to mention we did our first pig last year, and had a try at butchering chickens, Did well on all counts and will hone our skills accordingly this year.

Looking forward to adding much more practical knowledge to our repertoire....love to try new veggies, new just about anything....and of course enjoy sharing the things we've discovered along the way.

NoFences......a.k.a Claudia

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Welcome from CT! Born in Rochester though, and lived in Henrietta until I was three. Still have family all over up there. Both my parents are from Upstate NY so it's in my blood!