New member here!

Hardknockshomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Hi from cold Wisconsin!

2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
I grew up in a large family with one parent working and learned to be self-reliant from a young age.

3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
We produce or harvest a lot of our food. I have some knowledge of wild edible plants and I want to learn more, which is one reason I decided to join this community.

4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
I am!

5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I enjoy crochet. I make dishcloths, afghans, hats, scarves, and other things. I would love to teach crochet, especially because I crochet left-handed.

6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
I keep chickens and dairy goats where I live in the country.

7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I like to garden and enjoy growing vegetables and have a few apple trees, too.

8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
I love to fish, both with live and artificial baits.

9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
We are making payments on 16 acres in the country.

10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
I know a lot about general homesteading and do-it-yourself, but I would love to learn more about preparedness.

11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?
No, but I would like to!

12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
Have been since I was a child.

13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
I would live right here!

14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
I don't have one yet. Also high on priority list!

15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?
I cook with emphasis on fresh, home grown foods.

16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Yes we (husband and I) do both.

17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
We love to make and do things for ourselves. For example, I taught myself to trim the goats' hooves and to give them medications and immunizations.
I enjoy the challenge of figuring out a solution rather than having to pay for someone else to make or do it for me.

18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?No solar power yet, hopefully someday!

19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
For short periods of days or a few weeks at a time, I stayed at the family "cabin" which was not connected to the grid at that time.
I would not mind off-grid living if I were younger.

20. Do you make things yourself to save money?
We do our own fencing, animal feeders and shelters (brooder boxes, goat houses, chicken coop, chicken tractor).
Husband made bee hives, work tables for garage, and milk stand for our goats.
We butcher much of our own meat and I can or dehydrate a lot. We also make sausage, goat cheese, maple syrup, pickles, preserves, pectin, and can tomatoes, salsa, ketchup and tomato juice. Husband has made beer and wine, and I make yogurt, buttermilk and sourdough culture. We seldom buy processed food because we prefer to make our own from scratch.

21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
Absolutely! All this has taught us ways to save money and/or generate income. It's a self-perpetuating mindset and lifestyle!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. Love to see people trying to continue the ways of being self reliant and not afraid of the work it takes. Good to have you with us.

My paternal grandma's crochet work was EVERYWHERE. :D :love I mean doilies, bedspreads, tablecloths, long winters. :lol: Beautiful stuff. A lefty would have challenges as most instructions I've seen show right handed.

If you've read thru some posts, you'll see a lot of us have the gardens, chickens, milk & meat goats, etc. A lot of sharing goes on here.