New Member Introductions - Questions

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Please note: answering these questions are optional. These are just some things we'd like to know about you, your interests/hobbies/ skills, etc. Feel free to add or dismiss anything :)

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
20. Do you make things yourself to save money?
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Greetings, I am new, faithful. I rent but as i have a deck and my health has plummeted recently I am very interested in movable container gardening that has bird and rodent deterrents. Herbal medicine is where I am headed to know. I do not have solar tea however, there are a few u could really have fun with. One you walk and charge your phone at the same time. I do have some small solar lights on deck for safety as I have had unannounced nor invited visitors. I have never lived off grid. I really need help with my eyes. Bird mites or rodent mites came down from bathroom vent and there is a mite in my eye. You would be surprised how much this affects your life. I have been to two opticians and an opthomologist. I think the steroids with a small antibiotic included may have not been the best prescription. So, I thought herbal. Get it done. Learn from bounty of nature and here I am, ever sincerely faithful. Thank you. I am a little scared.

Welcome!

Even in apartment you can do what is viable for you. I canned jams and would buy meat primals so I could make my own burger and steaks for cheaper. I had plants in the windows but we didn't have a balcony. Had a 6 foot avocado tree that I grew from seed in the living room.

Columella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

Bihar, North India near Nepal border. Subtropical monsoon, cool and relatively dry winters, hot and dry summers and hot and wet rainy season also known as monsoon season.

No one, it's just our traditional way of life.

3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?

We produce and often sell milk, egg, meat, rice, wheat, corn, oat, millet oilseeds, some spices and fodder for livestock. We also produce some fruits like mangoes, guavas, jackfruit, litchi and strangler fig.

We stock rice, wheat and coarse grains for our livestock. We also pickle some fruits and vegetables.

5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

No, but I would love to learn some.

6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

Yes, we can and we do. I have all kinds of poultry and buffaloes.

Never got around gardening, but I do grow some vegetables like ocra and French beans etc.

We do fish, we are collecting fish now too. We bait and also fish with nets.

We have ten hectares of farmland of our own, we also have a big pond in which our share is on 1 hectare we share it with our extended family on my father's side. Country!!!

10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

We don't do anything out of ordinary or 'special', we do what most other people do. We grow our own rice, wheat, pulses, eggs, meat, milk, fish. We are not completely self sufficient in fruits and vegetables and spices though.

No, we have a caste that works with wood. They have a virtual monopoly on wood work.

Yes, very much. But we have to learn a lot.

We live in a very fine place. It's close to a natural forest which is a wildlife sanctuary and tiger reserve so there's a lot of land for grazing livestock. Himalayas are also not very far. Some times I wish we had snow, if I had to choose where I could live, I would have chosen Amish County, Ohio.

For cooking, we also use dung cakes as fuel. I know it sounds strange.

15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?

No, I only like to eat. I am not interested in whole foods, but I do like natural food. Drinking raw milk is a taboo unless you drink it very fresh, within 10-15 minutes after milking. Farm fresh eggs always.

Yes, when we take our buffaloes to the forest we often gather herbs, berries, fruits, roots, mushrooms and also hare, crabs, prawn and fish.

Well I can caponize cockerels, castrate goats, butcher small animals and birds and fish if that makes a difference.

No and no. I like keep stuff less complicated. When there's no electricity, I use oil lamps.

No, we can't afford to turn into complete hermits.

Moonshine counts?

21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

We are frugal, but no penny pinchers.

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good day again! I am from Puerto Rico. Joined the Army and relocated to the US. Lived in many states from the East coast to Central US. Visited a few times the West coast bit did not like it. Now living in Southwest Michigan. I am a complete city woman but got tired and once became disable, I moved to the country. Have a 1.5 acre. There is a water well but do not use it because it smells bad,tastes aweful and it stains everything, like the shwer,tub and toilets. Even my hair turned orangy. I live on disability and would like to learn how to have a sustainable life with more peace and quiteness. The only down part is that everything is from 30 to 60 minutes away. Proerty has also a propane tank. I do have neighbors but they are not too friendly s I stay to myself. Some neighbors from a street over are more friendly. Maybe is the hispanic that they do not like,but I served my coutry and pay my taxes,so I do whatever I please inside my borders. I broke an ankle 3 years ago and out of boredness, I learned crochet. It is part of my peace. My quietness got interrupted when I acquired chickens. Lesson learned. My dirty dozen are my children and I love them more than I love myself. I also have another child who is my bestie and support. Her name is Pixie and she is scared of the chickens. She also weighs about 9lbs. She is a maltesse mixed with something because she has an underbite,lol
I do not eat vegetables bit enjoy gardening and want to learn to do all that I can. I can always donate the veggies. I cannot sell because there is no traffic on my street. Thank God because it is a dirt road and that alone will keep me busy just cleaning and dusting off. I guess I will add more as it needs or are asked. Thank you all.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There are a couple active members in WI with similar climate. Are you near the lake? My family vacationed along the lake in SW michigan. We drove around the lake. SW Michigan was fantastic. I want to go back! The fresh peaches were amazing!

faithful

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Please note: answering these questions are optional. These are just some things we'd like to know about you, your interests/hobbies/ skills, etc. Feel free to add or dismiss anything :)

Greetings, I am new, faithful. I rent but as i have a deck and my health has plummeted recently I am very interested in movable container gardening that has bird and rodent deterrents. Herbal medicine is where I am headed to know. I do not have solar tea however, there are a few u could really have fun with. One you walk and charge your phone at the same time. I do have some small solar lights on deck for safety as I have had unannounced nor invited visitors. I have never lived off grid. I really need help with my eyes. Bird mites or rodent mites came down from bathroom vent and there is a mite in my eye. You would be surprised how much this affects your life. I have been to two opticians and an opthomologist. I think the steroids with a small antibiotic included may have not been the best prescription. So, I thought herbal. Get it done. Learn from bounty of nature and here I am, ever sincerely faithful. Thank you. I am a little scared.

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? NYS COLD.
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? Myself..I love learning anything to help save money.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? I grow perennial’s because you buy it once and have food/medicinal plants for many years ..I grow a fruit orchard of 24 trees, lots of raspberry,blackberry,blueberry, gooseberry,currants,choke cherry, elderberry, juneberry bushes, rhubarb, walking onions, sunchokes, asparagus patch, herb gardens, mint gardens.
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? Always..it’s the way I am.
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? Yes, I crochet my dish clothes, blankets, make my own tinctures, make my laundry detergent, fabric softener, cleaners, newest is my all natural face cream which is used for my eye makeup remover and dry skin, I plan on going into making all of my own shampoo, deorderant, soaps ect...I’m a visual learner mostly so no I wouldn’t be able to teach I don’t think anyway.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? Yes, I have had chickens for 9yrs, when my boys were younger I was thinking of getting a miniature jersey cow for milk but didn’t.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? Yes,it’s my heart, my passion and I live and breathe it to be honest.. I enjoy anything I can grow as I grow from seed which makes me feel so good to see something I grew yourself..
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? I love to fish but don’t touch it or eat it..I’m Weird I know.
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? 3-acres we own well, the bank owns lol..Country, no offense to people that live in the city I just couldn’t do it..I like my privacy.
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? I don’t have one specialty I do many things to be self sufficient to save money. I think my sons and dh would say my homegrown homemade hot sauce and dandelion wine. I want to learn more about growing and using medicinal medicine.I make my own dandelion salve, comfrey salve and elderberry tinctures but want grow my own medicine.
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet? Nope..wish I did cause I want a huge functioning chicken coop..I love my chickens!
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Answered this but this is very important to me.
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? The south where I could grow almost year round.
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? Yes, for our heat. Have used fir cooking when we lost power.
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs? I love to cook, make many of my foods from scratch, grow herbs to dehydrate to make my own seasoning blends. Natural foods, raw milk..my family owned farms and I grew up on raw milk until they sold our cows, yes, homestead fresh eggs from my chickens.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Yes,since my apple trees haven’t given me squat I forage wild apple trees for all my apple pie filling, applesauce, apple butter, apple juice, dehydrated apple slices (I vacuum seal in quart jars)and apple juice that I can to last until the next growing season..blackcap’s are also foraged to make my jam for the year.
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? To many to list.
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? No..but, I would love to have solar someday.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? Nope,nada,never.. I don’t think so I love my modern technology.
20. Do you make things yourself to save money? Yes, to many to list.
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? I started this lifestyle to save money now it’s just part of who I am.