New member & my search for Local Homesteads

Unusual_FarmChick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! I'm Tammie, The Unusual Farm Chick. I began homesteading when we bought our current home 8 yrs ago.There is 1.16 acres which I play farmer with.
We have raised dairy goats, chickens, rabbits, turkeys and Muscovy ducks along with the food garden (currently 60X80) plus fruit trees and canes.
I have kept a blog of our adventures in this lifestyle for over 4 yrs now and have begun a new venture with it.
I am looking for other Homesteaders within a 5-6 hour radius of the Akron/Canton Ohio area. I have begun video spotlights of the real people & Artisans in Homesteading. Showing pieces of their lives and Homestead of various sizes and styles. Sharing tips, how to's and sometimes an adventure of me trying something new such as shearing sheep, driving a team of horses and mushroom hunting.
The series have just begun so the only videos posted on my site is from our time with a willow furniture who taught us 3 different ways to make garden obelisks with willow and I show how different woods/Natural materials can also be utilized in making these Organic Garden structures for the plants.

If you would be interested in allowing me to come out and do a "spotlight" on your homestead, please feel free to email me or leave a comment here. if you have a blog, please share the link so I may look it over and see what you do. From Backyard homesteads to larger. I aim to show that Homesteading is not what the Discovery Channel Green planet shows and this is about tending our earth and nurturing our families in a realistic form.
Here is the link to my site:
http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/
I look forward to spending more time on this site and meeting others of a like mind.
Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie
The Unusual Farm Chick

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:welcome Welcome to SS!

Sounds like a neat project you're working on. Sadly, nothing interesting going on at our farm except chickens. :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Don't believe her! There's always something interesting going on at QA's farm!!! :lol:

Unusual_FarmChick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcomes (and nice compliments on my site:D )
If it makes you feel any better Quail_Antwerp, I'm down to 4 laying hens and 2 meat rabbits for livestock. besides the gardens, not much goes on here but chasing children. Lots people find "just chickens" interesting.
Besides, there is a story behind every person and their way of Homesteading. I'm sure there is one there to find!

Those "beds" get bigger every year. I had horrible rocky clay soil when I began tending it. The difference is amazing from just 8 years ago. This is the first year I have downsized the garden on our hill. We have 2 garden areas. I have a 10X20 plot at the hill bottom which was my husbands first personal garden.
I believe he was overwhelmed with the size so ...I'm taking over that one with heirloom melons/long pie pumpkins and corn. He gets a 2X10 strip to plant his hot peppers on.
Thank you again for the nice welcome. I have looked around this site and am very happy with what I see so far. Looking forward to spending more time reading up on more threads.
~Tammie
The Unusual Farmchick

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Unusual_FarmChick said:
If it makes you feel any better Quail_Antwerp, I'm down to 4 laying hens and 2 meat rabbits for livestock. besides the gardens, not much goes on here but chasing children. Lots people find "just chickens" interesting.
Besides, there is a story behind every person and their way of Homesteading. I'm sure there is one there to find!
*snicker*

Uh...I'm down to about oh...50 chickens + and they're still hatching/being picked up at Meyers, etc.

Plus 3 different breeds of Geese.

And ducks.

And guineas.

and Turkeys.

1 rabbit

Cattle....

five kids, some dogs, and a cat that just had kittens.

only thing missing here is the partridge in a pear tree - but we do have the pear trees!

Latest posts