New Member, New Homesteader

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule Yes, that's the canner I have my eye on! I decided some time ago but we didn't have the extra cash for it this year. But I'm hoping to get one before fall arrives.
The big issue I have is that I have one of those ceramic top stoves with the heat that circulates on and off. However, my parents bought us a propane maple syrup boiler for christmas that I think will work perfectly! (found photo)

Luckily I don't think the clay is too bad, we haven't had the soil tested yet as we were still deciding where we wanted to do the hay-to-vegetable garden conversion. Clay is grey-brown

Attachments

• IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 187

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

Starting slowly into the homesteading adventure. Had a unexpected move to a new city 9 months ago but was lucky to find a small farm to buy; 63 acres of field, forest and wetland, century barn and a new shop, and a lovely country home.

We stretched our limits to purchase this place, and as only my husband is working, things are a little tight but we're making it work! I'm at home with my 2 year old and trying to get a little homesteading started though it feels like I've accomplished next to nothing.:\

Right now we have 29 chickens - straight run, so extras roos will be dinner and the hens we'll keep. The garden exists - but it's not in great shape, hopefully I'll have something to show by the end of the season.

So that's the situation in a nutshell, thanks in advance for letting me hang around :)

:woot :welcome Glad to have you here! It sounds like you are off to a good start with acreage, barns and shop...that's most of the battle won, right there. How lovely to have that much land and shelters already built!

Please let us know how you go along with your chickens and garden, both good places to start homesteading skills. :thumbsup What breed of chickens and what are you growing this year?

Latest posts