efleeman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm starting to get into growing and preserving my own food. We did this when I was a child, but it seems to be a forgotten art in today's times. I'm guilty of it. It's so convenient to just buy what you need and suffer the health effects. I'd like to get back to the basics. To do this I need sorces of information and that's where you all and this website come in 😊. I've started some backyard chickens so now I need to prepare to grow crops come spring. I look forward to all of your great, inspirational ideas and how to instructions!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome. You will find lots of information here. If you care to share your growing zone, general location, it will help folks to connect with you to provide information that is more specific to your needs. Central Maine, Lat 44.6, zone 4B here. Average frost free season: May 10 - Sept 10, but I can extend my growing/eating season to Mid Feb - Thanksgiving by using hoop high tunnel, microclimate management, and low tunnels in the garden. Chickens, and recently added ducks.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hello from mid-Michigan. :)

if you know about where you will be gardening next year you can get going on that this season by starting to smother the area. chickens can act as a pretty good method of clearing up an area too. :)

for us, because of the many creatures that like to eat our gardens a good fence is important and also makes it much easier to get an actual harvest.

putting in hardscape structures should be done only after you've gardened for a few years and have figured out what you want to do. otherwise it's all in the way any time you want to do a new project... yes, learned the hard way, why do you ask? :) :) :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Welcome from WI! Its so fun to see how people start their journeys. It gives me so many ideas and gets me to look at my options with fresh eyes.

My first advice is start small and keep it sustainable within your limitations. Boring advice, right?! 😂

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you came to the right place. welcome aboard from Texas

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another Texan here, rolling out the welcome mat. By all means, jump in, join the conversations, we are a friendly bunch. I've gardened all my life, starting at age 2, toddling behind my Daddy. 65 now and learn new things all the time. We are delighted to expound on the many facets of sustaining one self and family.

#1 STOCK UP ON TOILET PAPER!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: