tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i don't understand, why aren't you getting it done? you can do it, since 1970 i canned the way my mil law taught me, water bath and open kettle, was terrified of pressure canning, this year with husbands help, bought two pressure canners, a old presto canner( refurbished it our selves) and a new all american, like i said, with husbands help, getting the hang of the pressure canner, who knows, by the time i hit 75 i might even like it lol
if you can't plant a garden you can maybe find a farmers market or local auction and buy what you want to try, you can do it
i like going to the grocery store once in a while, thats where we see all our neighbors:lol: but i like going out to the garden and picking what i want to eat too and its so much better flavor wise and i even enjoy the hoeing
I have some health problems that have been difficult to manage. I have trouble with bending/kneeling, standing, heat and direct sunshine. I have a big garden but havent gotten a harvest out of it for 2 years. I keep trying. Even if a garden isnt successful, its still good for me to try!

I am coveting an electric pressure canner since I cant use my big one by myself. When theyre in stock I will get one! I get a weekly produce box and could put up small batches. I have an electric water bath canner I can use. I set it up on the floor so I can sit down while using it.

DH hunts for venison and we raise lamb too. I have 4 pet chickens now - we are taking a break from meat birds.

sharron

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have some health problems that have been difficult to manage. I have trouble with bending/kneeling, standing, heat and direct sunshine. I have a big garden but havent gotten a harvest out of it for 2 years. I keep trying. Even if a garden isnt successful, its still good for me to try!

I am coveting an electric pressure canner since I cant use my big one by myself. When theyre in stock I will get one! I get a weekly produce box and could put up small batches. I have an electric water bath canner I can use. I set it up on the floor so I can sit down while using it.

DH hunts for venison and we raise lamb too. I have 4 pet chickens now - we are taking a break from meat birds.
i understand more now, don't know if i could even do what you do , if it wasn't for my husband, not sure i could do a big garden myself, i can't start the rotor tiller by myself and son isn't always at home, i do have a small one that i could try
have you tried craigs list or facebooks markeyplace to look for a electric one? sometimes you get lucky and find what you're looking for

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i understand more now, don't know if i could even do what you do , if it wasn't for my husband, not sure i could do a big garden myself, i can't start the rotor tiller by myself and son isn't always at home, i do have a small one that i could try
have you tried craigs list or facebooks markeyplace to look for a electric one? sometimes you get lucky and find what you're looking for
There are quite a few members here exploring no till gardening. I'm working on developing permanent garden beds and "living mulch". Others are trying various compost in place methods. I've seen improvement in perennial weeds, but the annuals are winning. I'm considering not direct sowing anything next year and trying corn gluten meal.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

believe it or not we manage to get by here with a lot of gardens without using a tiller at all. if you can shovel some of it once in a while and use a stirrup hoe you can keep up quite a bit of space. there are two of us, but i do most of the hard labor now. we have about an acre of gardens and decorations with about 1/2 of that being mowed or gardened for vegetables. the rest is perennial gardens or decorations. if you want to see what i'm talking about you can check out the website at www.anthive.com, and no i don't sell anything and have no connection to the manufacturing of shovels and/or stirrup hoes. :)

Latest posts