New Oil--what cost?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
http://att.my.yahoo.com/_ylt=An_S0R...sX3NhbmRz/RS=^ADAxxCIY0sbc8_5gpi7FVEltNlZdbQ-

Beneath the lush, green hills of eastern Utah's Uinta Basin, where elk, bear and bison outnumber people, the soil is saturated with a sticky tar that may soon provide a new domestic source of petroleum for the United States. It would be a first-of-its kind project in the country that some fear could be a slippery slope toward widespread wilderness destruction.

We are looking at a 30,000-acre project that will destroy the environment in this area over many years," said John Weisheit, a Colorado River guide and founder of the Moab, Utah-based environmental group Living Rivers.

Canada has been a major producer for years, and in doing so, has become the No. 1 foreign supplier of oil to America. Alberta's sprawling oil sands deposits are the second largest oil reserves in the world outside of Saudi Arabia. The region produces about 1.2 million barrels of oil a day with an estimated 174 billion barrels in reserve.

But it comes at a cost. The oil sands operations, including extraction and processing, are responsible for up to 4 percent of Canada's greenhouse gas emissions, and that's expected to triple to 12 percent by 2020.

Read more.......................................

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
http://att.my.yahoo.com/_ylt=An_S0R...sX3NhbmRz/RS=^ADAxxCIY0sbc8_5gpi7FVEltNlZdbQ-

Beneath the lush, green hills of eastern Utah's Uinta Basin, where elk, bear and bison outnumber people, the soil is saturated with a sticky tar that may soon provide a new domestic source of petroleum for the United States. It would be a first-of-its kind project in the country that some fear could be a slippery slope toward widespread wilderness destruction.

We are looking at a 30,000-acre project that will destroy the environment in this area over many years," said John Weisheit, a Colorado River guide and founder of the Moab, Utah-based environmental group Living Rivers.

Canada has been a major producer for years, and in doing so, has become the No. 1 foreign supplier of oil to America. Alberta's sprawling oil sands deposits are the second largest oil reserves in the world outside of Saudi Arabia. The region produces about 1.2 million barrels of oil a day with an estimated 174 billion barrels in reserve.

But it comes at a cost. The oil sands operations, including extraction and processing, are responsible for up to 4 percent of Canada's greenhouse gas emissions, and that's expected to triple to 12 percent by 2020.

Read more.......................................
It's just the environment. Who cares. It almost caused the government to get shut down. That whole fiasco had nothing to do with deficit. Harry Reid had already met their demands for dollars to cut but the TP people wanted more. So lets cut EPA controls and of course the only source of medical care that poor women have. Because they spend 3% of their budget on something unpopular with Eventually they will get environmental controls lifted and then our children will have more than the big bad deficit to worry about. Nothing we can do except pay attention to who you vote for.

So before you push that button with the R next to it. Make sure your backyard isn't going to have the environmental effects to worry about. Of course if it doesn't go ahead and push that button. After all it's everyone for themselves. As the saying goes "Sucks to be you". So just make sure that you are not the YOU in that saying and everything will be just fine. Chances are you won't be around when the chickens come home to roost. So breathe easy.

Beside we all know that the article was written by a bunch of tree huggers. Right. ;)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So maybe it all boils down to the forbidden word: overpopulation

Our world is only capable of supporting so many people and we just keep on pumping out kids at an alarming rate.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:

Our world is only capable of supporting so many people and we just keep on pumping out kids at an alarming rate.
Yeah, that bothers me too. I think doing any more than just replacing yourself is irresponsible.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Boogity said:

Can you back that up with sattistics please? I have a difficult time believing that, I can't find any verifiction. I kniow my mom only had two kids as did I and my sis. My sil has no children. Whereas, my grandparents had 14 and 8 children. So, from my limited knowledge of this, I would say we are not having more children.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As areas become more prosperous, their reproduction rates drop.

I was inundated with population bomb propaganda in middle school by a progressive nutbag teacher. Every prediction he had about overpopulation has turned out to be completely wrong.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
As populations become more prosperous and develop more social nets their population drops. You can thank institutions like Planned Parenthood that help people to plan parenthood instead of just breeding. I don't mean through termination either. That is a very small % of what they do. Less than 5%. Most of what they do is contraception and screenings for reproductive health.

Europe's population is dropping a little bit. America is going up as indicated by the last census. That's for documented citizens and people are definitely having more than just 2 or we would be staying the same.

India and Pakistan are going up drastically, Russia is going down. It's all tied to prosperity and education.

So when they open up all the wilderness areas for elimination by the oil companies the prices will drop a little bit. What will they do when every acre has an oil well or has been fracked and all the water wells are contaminated and the prices still go up? Whats the game plan then? The answer is simple, there is no plan. Just make up another boogeyman to distract the people. Another war would be good.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Boogity said:

But IF we lived as our grandparents lived, with no gas or electric...sustainably with gardens and livestock...we wouldn't have to worry about overpopulation. Life is too easy right now.