New (Old) Meat Grinder

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had out of town guests visiting, and she wanted to go to the antique/second hand stores that we have in town. She didn't find much that she wanted, but I found a manual meat grinder at considerably less than the $30+ that they cost new, and it seemed to be complete, so I bought it. But now I have questions, and hope someone here has answers :). It has 3 grinding plates, one with small holes, one with larger holes, and one that looks like a grain grinding plate (it is the same as the grinder in this picture: http://www.rubylane.com/shops/dottyleestreasures/item/249?gbase=1). It seems unlikely that this was ever used for grinding grain, as the hopper is so small, and it would be very hard to turn the handle, but what do I know? :lol: Might it be for seeds (sesame, poppy)? Or nuts? Also, as far as I can tell, there is no sharp edged grinding "knife" included in the set-up, but also no room for one that I can see. My electric grinder has a sharp "knife", so I'm wondering if this really is complete? I haven't had a chance to actually put any meat through it yet; no doubt my questions will be answered then (although I still don't know about the "mill" plate, as shown in the picture. This, by the way, has a different "milling" surface on each side - finer, and less fine). I"m sure that some of you have manual grinders, and can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was wondering if you have the little blade that comes with the set? Its a little windmill (4 arms) shaped cutting blade that fits right against the plate and cuts the meat when the screw turns the meat into the plate. If you don't have that little part, you need it. It may very well be capable of cutting your grain.

Wonder if you could create a bigger hopper by using heavy cardboard and duct tape? I know that doesn't sound pretty, but I've seen hopper attachments and they just consist of a squared off, large funnel-shaped item that sits on top of the meat hopper. :idunno

Great find! I would give my eye teeth for one of the manual grinders right now....my mother sold her two at the auction house, not thinking that someone may want the old things. Wish I had them now, as the electric grinder I bought a couple of years back worked once, for one deer, and then gave up the ghost! :rolleyes:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks to you both. That's what I was thinking also. However, I found this picture of the thing *exploded* out into it's individiual components - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270389568849#ebayphotohosting - and don't see any blade there either.

I just took a closer look at mine, and see that there are fixed metal bits at the mouth of the machine, surrounding the screw, and that the disc itself turns (unlike my electric one, where the cutting blade turns, and the disc is fixed). These bits aren't sharp, but maybe they take the place of a blade? There isn't really any room for a blade that I can see. I suppose I just need to put some meat through it, and see what happens.

However it works, the price was right, and its nice looking in an old-timey sort of way (which suits my kitchen just fine :D). (But I've bookmarked the link you gave for replacement pieces, just in case)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I just tried it with the supposed grain grinding plate - I tossed a handful of wheatberries in, and, with the "less fine" side grinding I got cracked wheat without too much difficulty. Turned around, with the "finer" side doing the grinding I got course flour, but it was difficult. I would not want to do more than a cup or so at a time, though I may think differently in an emergency situation :lol:. Part of the problem is that my counter is too thick to attach the machine to, so I used the pull out cutting board - of course that isn't a fixed surface, so when the grinding got difficult the board would move about, and not offer the needed resistance. I'll need to think out a solution for that. A handful of rolled oats was fairly easily turned into oat flour. I can imagine that it would do a good job grinding nuts. Next job is to defrost some meat, and try grinding that. I am almost sure now that this particular machine does not need the usual cutting blade. It is a Keystone grinder, BTW, just in case anyone else runs across one, which company doesn't appear to be in existance anymore.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bringing this back up to the fore because I have used it a few times now, and someone else may find the information useful.
Apparently this particular device does not have a cutting blade (the "windmill" blades mentioned earlier). The disc itself moves, and the meat/grain is ground by the action between the moving plate and the fixed "teeth" on the side of the main piece. I have ground corn for cornbread, and that went fairly well; I put the grains through twice. And this evening I ground some liver. I have 3 plates - one has small-ish holes (used for the meat), one has 3 large holes (which research shows is probably for filling sausage casings with already ground meat), and one milling plate, which is reversible - fine, and not so fine. It appears that there are a number of these Keystone grinders out there. If you find one at a good price (mine was $8) perhaps this info. will be helpful. I find it interesting that this is a dual purpose grinder, for both meat and grain - though small quantities of both - its capacity is way too small for daily use for a large family. It works pretty well for my limited use, and small family though.

Edited correct name of grinder - Keystone, not Jupiter

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom took several hand grinders to the auction before she realized that I wanted one....darn it! I envy you your excellent find in this grinder.

I have all this wheat but would be pretty lost if, for some reason, my electric grinder could not be utilized.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just wanted to add, my son and i were talking about these the other day. He hadnt realized that the one in the family butcher shop was so old because long ago someone removed the handle and hooked it up with a belt to a little motor. Even my grandmothers Squeezo strainer is now hooked to a electric drill to power it.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Glad you bumped this.....DH and I were discussing grinders, as I have as much deer meat as I want to cut up. I could go buy the attachment for the Kitchenade, but what good is that going to do in a few years when I'm off grid? haha Seriously, I think the hand grinder is a better option, on or off grid, .....seems it'd be easier to fix! :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pioneergirl, if you have a lot to grind (or anticipate a lot) go for a bigger one. This little Keystone that I found was certainly the right price ($8) but is very small. I found it in a second hand, "antique" shop in town. A couple of months ago I got a larger grinder, a #22 with four legs that bolt to a tabletop, at a rummage sale for $10, which is also a great bargain - though I have looked into getting new cutting knives and plates, and they will cost several times what I got the grinder for :D! Guess I need to think about sharpening the ones that came with it! I have an electric grinder that fits on my blender motor - quite honestly, I don't much like it. Its quicker and easier, but I fancy that the consistency of the final product isn't as nice.