New (old!) pie crust recipe...using chevre!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I found a recipe in my old WWII era cookbook for a tasty, flaky, healthy pie crust. It was buried in a cherry pie recipe and I hadn't noticed it since I don't have access to pie cherries.....but I made a peach pie last night and used it and......YUM!!! You don't taste the cheese, but the crust was very flaky. I think it will adapt well to a cheesecake crust by simply adding a bit of sweetener and cinnamon to it.

1/2 c lard
1/2 c or 4 oz cream cheese or chevre
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c flour (I only had hard white wheat flour and didn't feel like pulling out the grinder...and it was great!)

There is no water/liquid in this recipe so it didn't roll out that easily. I ended up rolling it about as big as the bottom of my pie plate and I had to pick it up in pieces to get it into the dish. Then I pressed it with my fingers up the sides of the plate and added bits to get it reasonably even. Then I rolled out the rest and made a rough unwoven basket for the top. I'd intended a two crust pie.....but this was eaten for breakfast and was DELICIOUS! A keeper, for sure.

ETA: Ooo-ooo-ooo!!!! I'm going to try this with the addition of a grated strong cheese such as my homemade feta to make it taste cheesy for certain pies.....maybe the crust for that swiss chard pie recipe made with eggs and cheese.

peachpie001.jpg

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That pie looks delicious! Too bad I can't get lard around here.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you have a real butcher shop, the type that cuts up whole animals for people, you can usually get leaf lard from them and render it yourself. That is what I did BP....Before Pigs. :p

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha! BP... thats pretty good.

and that pie looks heavenly!

:)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
freemotion said:
If you have a real butcher shop, the type that cuts up whole animals for people, you can usually get leaf lard from them and render it yourself. That is what I did BP....Before Pigs. :p
Where I am moving... there is one. *nod nod nod* He sells the "bacon ends" to my Imooto for SUPER CHEAP because no one wants them.

!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Another pie victory to be reported....I wanted to serve chevre on crackers to my Monday guest and planned on flavoring it as French onion dip. But when I reached for the onion powder.....I'd forgotten that I was out. So I quickly looked around and went with a version of my favorite salad dressing, Parmesan Peppercorn. I used grated hard feta, a bit of garlic powder, some kefir to moisten it until it was creamy, and salt and pepper. It was yummy! But there was a lot left over so I made a swiss chard quiche last night using the above pie crust recipe and some of the flavored chevre. I threw in a bunch more grated feta....like maybe 3/4 cup or so....it was wonderful! We are having the leftovers tonight with some garden potatoes and greens with lots of butter. Super yum.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Waitwaitwait....back up......did you say that bacon ends are cheap because NOBODY WANTS THEM??????? What???? Blasphemy! :th

Latest posts