New Peeps - Darn Hawks!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Some new peeps arrived today from Cackle Hatchery. 10 Buff Orpington Pullets and 2 cockerels, and 5 Ameraucanas (easter Eggers) pullets. Woohoo!

l_42afe611ec254b968de4e6abd50d1012.jpg

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Now is that babysitter hungry or curious? :gig

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How cute!! I have to have my chicks completely enclosed due to cat babysitters!!!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Now is that babysitter hungry or curious? :gig
Just curios, thank goodness. She just laid there, and watched them for about an hour, until we moved her to change the paper under the chicks. She's the only one out of our four pups that I'd trust around them, though. Two of the others would go over or under a fence to have chicken. The Pyr would just go through the fence. :rolleyes:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Just over two months old, and out first death. We found one of the BO's keeled over, with no apparent injury. It happens, but I hate it when it does. :(

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Very cute! I started with 5 keets 6 weeks ago, now I'm down to 2! You're right, it happens, but its never a good day when it does. :(

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yeah. I hate it too. Lost 2 ducklings this Spring. One wasn't growing so no surprise when she passed. The other one was fine one day and then I found her weak and barely moving the next day. I tried to treat her but she was too far gone.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We found her dead last evening as we went to close up the coop. This morning, none of the peeps want to leave the coop (even the older hens that are in a adjoining coop). We got them all to come out with some cracked corn, but as soon as they ate it, back into the coop they went.

I don't know if something killed the bird and it scared the others, or they are just moping. Odd behavior. Oh well, I guess that I'll bring them up some cooked rice to lift their spirits. :D

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
This last keet that passed actually just disappeared. One day she was there, let them out of the coop the next morning, and I haven't seen her since. No idea....she was a 'rogue' so to speak, wandered off on her own a lot. So I'm guessing a hawk or something. The other 2 still try to squeeze under a hen that has adopted them. Funny how things go.....