New Peeps - Darn Hawks!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I've lost 2 or 3 ducklings to a hawk, until my light brahma mama jumped on the hawk and pecked it with everything she had....such a good mama. Haven't seen that hawk since. :lol:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I've lost 2 or 3 ducklings to a hawk, until my light brahma mama jumped on the hawk and pecked it with everything she had....such a good mama. Haven't seen that hawk since. :lol:
Good for her! :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We just lost a second 2 month old pullet to a hawk. :somad

The hawk was large enough to kill the pullet, but not to fly off with it. I know that hawks are protected, but I believe that the next time that I see one going after my birds, I'm going to practice the three S's. Shoot, Shovel, & Shut up.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
get that dog of yours to bark when the hawks come...

our biggest dog has always been obsessed with flying things (airplanes etc) and so he naturally likes to look up.. then he figured out that we "go see" when there are specific birds around... it really helps.

darn hawks. we have a small one that is around, but she mostly stays away. when we see her the dogs and i go charging over to the flocks. but thankfully most of the older hens know to stay in the cover of the trees.

sorry about the loss.
:-(

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I lost 2 more babies yesterday....dangitall. Thankfully the hawk is not bothering the larger 6 week old ducklings.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You need to get some netting up. It will go after full grown ducks. Instead of flying off with them, the hawk just decapitates them and eats the brains. I lost 2 ducks this way. Poor hubby, a city kid, found the bodies.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We had them in a area with netting over them, but after the deers decimated our garden, we let them into it. They are back in the covered area again. They've grown so much, that we need to expand the area for them, so back to the hardware store Monday for more fencing. I wonder how hawk tastes....