New to site

usnbrat

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. Just registered after a friend recommended the site. My partner and I are starting to make our plans and take steps to becoming SS. Our goal is to be ready to move to some land in 5 years....so yeah, we have a lot of preparing that needs done first, mostly on the financial front. That's ok though, Rome wasn't built in a day! lol And since we want to go totally off grid we are using the time to research, learn and experiment. Looking forward to reading the posts and getting to know people.

Becky

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
usnbrat said:
Hello. Just registered after a friend recommended the site. My partner and I are starting to make our plans and take steps to becoming SS. Our goal is to be ready to move to some land in 5 years....so yeah, we have a lot of preparing that needs done first, mostly on the financial front. That's ok though, Rome wasn't built in a day! lol And since we want to go totally off grid we are using the time to research, learn and experiment. Looking forward to reading the posts and getting to know people.

Becky
Howdy,

Well, do you have a list on this you will need to know? How are you gonna get to that goal? What are some of the stuff you want to learn?

Thanks for stopping by.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:welcome

It's a great place here.

You can start on your goal now, before you even get to a house.

I started trying to do self sufficient stuff long before we bought a house and were living in a tiny apartment. Granted some is stuff I never stopped doing because Mom and Grandma always did it that way.

We bought a small 7 cu ft freezer and used it for lots of extra food storage in that apt. It had to be an upright with tight space. The microwave lived on top of it to get that off the counter. That thing is still kicking good even 12 years later and we still use it in the back spare bedroom/pantry even though we have a big upright now. If you have room, you could get a small dehydrator and dry some stuff. We didn't have the room for that. Squash would live under the kitchen table in the corner during the winter.

Slowly easing into it is nice. That way it's not a huge shock. We couldn't get financing for the one perfect place because it was off grid, but we are working to make this place what we want. This place was much cheaper, too, so we can afford to do stuff easier.

usnbrat

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Flytyer24 - We definitely have a list of things we want to learn/learn more about as well as starting a list of things we will need in the future. We are also working on a list to put together bug-out bags to keep in our cars now. The biggest thing we have to do first is get our debt paid off and that I know how to go about. The "big" things we need to learn more are straw bale and underground houses (we are considering building an underground straw bale house), solar/wind power, bee keeping, and livestock raising. We are looking 5-7 years out so we have time. Also have to start researching locations to narrow the list of states we are considering.

Hinotori - We already have a chest freezer and I started learning to can a couple years ago. My parents got us a dehydrator for Christmas this last year so I've starting experimenting with that as well.