New to the forum, my projects!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MiracleWik said:
Thanks!

I forgot to mention, I also tan the skins of the rabbits, started saving seeds this year, and have a compost pile. There is a Starbucks on my way home from work so I've been picking up the "Grounds for your Garden" bags to mix with my compost pile. It's been getting so hot, the crickets are moving out. :D

I'll be deploying next month, so any ideas on how to make the mini farm "City-Boy" proof, please let me know! I'm making cages for the rabbits and harvesting what I can, but much of the burden will fall on my husband.

-Ashley
First let me say... :welcome

next... I would love to hear more on how you tan the rabbit hides... I have several that I've saved back they are salted in ziplock baggies awaiting the day I can figure out how or what to do with them...

about the cityboy thing.... I have one of those and sometimes there is never a cure for it... I just learned to do it all myself... :barnie he did build me some nice rabbit hutches though (took him a few tries) :lol:

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:welcome

Greetings MiracleWik,
We're glad you are here and proud of your service to our country. I entered the Navy in 1967 and retired from the Navy in 2007 with a 20 year hiatus in the Army...go figure.
So you are deploying and having to leave the homestead to your city boy husband; thus showing your IMMENSE level of courage (deploying isn't that bad, but leaving a farm to that city boy really requires COURAGE, Honor and Committment.

Your program is probably well defined in that you do things daily. What I would recommend is that your "city-boy" apprentice "makes rounds" with you every day until you cross the brow, and leave him home with your precious farmette. While making rounds, make sure he does things exactly as you teach him. Don't (PLEASE) don't assume he can do them simply because you told him what you do. Make certain he does them in front of YOUR EYES so you KNOW he does them right and knows the routine. Don't do them for him while you are training him. Just like on the ship, this is OJT. Make him do the work that YOU supervise.

I lived in Wisconsin for 10 years. I loved the place and the people, particularly the farm people.

I wish you "Fair Winds and Following Seas" until you return to our shore.

By the way, I was HM8404 when I was enlisted. What's your NEC?

Keep your butt down, your head on a swivel and your powder dry, shipmate.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni

Trim sends
//bt//

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Your program is probably well defined in that you do things daily. What I would recommend is that your "city-boy" apprentice "makes rounds" with you every day until you cross the brow, and leave him home with your precious farmette. While making rounds, make sure he does things exactly as you teach him. Don't (PLEASE) don't assume he can do them simply because you told him what you do. Make certain he does them in front of YOUR EYES so you KNOW he does them right and knows the routine. Don't do them for him while you are training him. Just like on the ship, this is OJT. Make him do the work that YOU supervise.
Yep. What he said. :thumbsup

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Welcome! It's great to have you join the zoo. :lol: Thank you for your service to America. May you return soon, and safely from deployment.

S

sunsaver

k0xxx said:
Welcome! It's great to have you join the zoo. :lol: Thank you for your service to America. May you return soon, and safely from deployment.

Ditto that, and :welcome

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Ashley and welcome. Are you going to sea or are you heading to an installation somewhere? Hubby is gonna do just fine. You'll be proud of him.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:welcome Ashley! Thank you for your service. As far as the city boy is concerned...everything everyone else said PLUS have him get on this site too so maybe we can help guide him should any problems arise after your deployment. It's the least we can do. While you're off serving us, it seems only right we should return the favor a bit ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome Let me also say, thank you for your service to our country. I have to say.... Icu4dzs has sound advice! Before you know it, your hubby will be donning bibbed overalls, and muck boots! :p Stay safe...and Gods speed on returning home!