New to us Enterprise Lard/Fruit Press and Sausage Stuffer

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One thing I'll say is that I always like the heavy-duty, built-for-long-service design of these old devices, machines, gadgets (whatever you want to call them). The nice heavy castings, the simple, sturdy gears... real no-b.s. construction. Nowadays, if you can find some of these old machines made at all, they tend to be lighter castings and more fragile gears (possibly inferior metal, too). One of my pet peeves. :/

Congratulations on finding and acquiring it. :p

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's beautiful, and I agree with Joel that they just don't make things like they used to. :) Glad you found it, because so many of the old pieces just get left forgotten somewhere to rust, and they are still so useful.

For my book binding I acquired an old block (paper) cutter several years ago that is huge, but built to last. We bought it from a printing company that no longer needed it. When we got it home (and that took some effort due to the weight of the thing) my hubs tested it out by cutting through a 5" city phone book, it went through like it was a hot knife through butter. He's pretty sure he could amputate an arm or leg with this thing, so I'm always super extra careful when I use it.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Joel and Moolie! :hugs

We are super-excited about this find!

We'll know more about just how sturdy the parts are once we get her taken apart for the restoration and have our :fl .

Doc has guess-timated that she weighs every bit of 75 - 80 pounds. We're doing daily/every other day wd-40 soakings on the parts we need to remove for her overhaul. He goes back to work this evening so we probably won't attempt any tear-down until his next 3 days off. Not in a hurry since she's home now! :D

I asked doc if he was going to build a roll-around shelf for it (mostly being a smart ### question, because I'm like that) and he'd like to see it as a permanent fixture in the kitchen, once we get the cabin built. I'm all for that idea, since it can be used for so many different things! :cool:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just did a search on "lard press" and sure enough yours came up. I am looking for one locally, not a realistic goal in Southern Ca. But I have found many on e bay.

Just wondering if you have used it for lard yet.

gina

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Gina!

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, life has been busy with us! :/

We haven't used it for anything yet as we still haven't gotten the restoration completed. :hide

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that video, cheepo! :hugs

I went searching for info on using the Enterprise for lard (didn't find what I was looking for) and never thought to look on YouTube! :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember that video. That's the first time I saw the press. I love the outdoor fire and huge pot. That's what I need this year.

g

Latest posts