New use for old jar......................

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have several old jars- the kind that have bales and glass tops with rubber rings- that I have only used to put in things like oatmeal or cookies.
Yesterday I was trying to find a plastic container to marinate some chicken pieces- plastic though is a pain to clean when something oily have been it it. I thought canning jar but even the wide mouth was too narrow to be convenient.
Then I spotted one of those jars with the bales. It worked perfectly- the bale held the jar tightly closed while I shook the marinade around and stayed tightly closed while I rotated it periodically while it was sitting in the fridge. So many times I have had plastic containers leak when I turned them and I hate to use a plastic bag which always was thrown out due to raw chicken issues.

Easy to clean, re-usable and works better-:ya

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I like using those jars for storing dried foods like tomatoes or peppers. I also store homegrown teas and herbs in them. Oh and they sure look pretty filled with marbles or pebbles, which I use for weighing down pies or vases filled with top heavy sunflowers.