New use for yellow mustard.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a reaction to singulair back at the end of May and my Dr took me off. The allergist I've been seeing for the past 4 years couldn't get me in until the end of September so I called around and found a new Dr. He told me to stop taking all meds 10 days before my apt and the itching is driving me nuts. I'm allergic to everything green. A friend from Church told me to take an oatmeal bath and then put yellow mustard on the hives. Can you believe it, it worked! Benadryl cream, cortisone and every other anti itch cream I could find didn't do a thing but my husbands second favorite condiment worked. Who'd have thought.......

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL... mommy yummy! :p

Wonder if it would work on poison ivy? My family doesn't get it, but many people have asked what to do for it. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Probably the vinegar in it...vinegar works immediately on bee stings, poison ivy, unknown itchies.

Ammonia works like this as well.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll give the plain vinegar a try. If it works then I won't be a big yellow blob. Don't get allergies, they stink!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know that vinegar works very well for nettle stings. I had some grow up in an area formerly clean of them this year. So I was walking through what I thought was just some flowers in shorts and sandals. I made it through before the pain hit my brain good and of course, the only way back was the way I came. Was talking to mom on the phone at the time and she thought I got attacked by something, then after she understood told me to pour the vinegar on it. So I'm in the tub pouring vinegar over my legs.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A friend of mine uses a mustard plaister for all kinds of things, she mixes dry mustard with other ingredients to make it. I don't think there's vinegar in her concoction, so I wouldn't be too quick to assume it's only the vinegar that is helping if someone told you to use mustard.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Toothpaste is actually my choice in pain/itch relief. My mouth is insanely sensitive and I can only use a few types, so the ones that don't work in my mouth are put to use elsewhere. It actually works fast and LONGER than extra strength cortisone cream. It really helps with the swelling as well. I was stung about a month ago by a honey bee and slathered toothpaste on it. It only swelled part of my foot, instead of my entire foot and halfway up my leg. :)

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried the plain vinegar and it dries/quits working to fast. I guess ill just have to be yellow until I get to the allergist on Wednesday.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I tried the vinegar on chigger bites! It worked better than any cream I've ever tried, and was so much cheaper. And, it seemed to clear them up much quicker. Monday is when I started to itch. They woke me up both Monday and Tuesday night, but not last night. Today, I put some vinegar on in the morning, but that was it.