new video on two home scale threshin inventions

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is amazing! I want a bucket thresher!!!!! That is the only thing that has stopped me from attempting to grow my own grain...how to get it out of the hulls. Wow. I could rotate wheat through my gardens.

How much space would I need to plant to get, say, 50# of wheat berries?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That is cool. I am going to have to show SO. I planted some wheat this year, just to try it out. We have planted other grains like millet and broom corn. I usually just feed those to the animals whole and let them work on getting the grains out, but I would love to be able to thresh it for human use.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that.
I wonder how difficult it is to get the fan speed high enough to blow away the chaff, but not the wheatberries.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hoosier - I think that any household or animal barn fan would work just fine. The air speed only wants to be fast enough to blow away the lightweight chaff and not so fast that it blows the grain away. I have seen Amish folks and people in Africa do their winnowing in very light breezes.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Paul, I love it!!! Can we hang out some time?

Amazing how the internet and the ability to easilly post videos online can make the communication of great ideas so much more efficient!

Imagine if you wanted to share your amazing design with me before the internet... would you call me up and try to describe it? Maybe mail me a photo?

Anywho, fantastic work! Thanks for posting!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to talk to my dad about this...he remembers threshing oats with a flail as a kid (his dad did it if they needed a few oats for the animals.) But the oats were not hulled (?) and ready for human consumption.

Wheat is different, though, isn't it? If I planted some wheat as a rotation crop in my gardens, would the grain I threshed with this too cool invention be ready to grind into flour, or is there another step needed?

ETA: They also shelled dry peas this way, with a flail.

Latest posts