Newbie from Kentucky

MamiPollo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello from Louisville!

I am a single mom, with one child still at home, in Louisville, KY. I live in a suburban area and trying to live as frugally and self-sufficiently as possible.

I have a modest house that was pretty green to begin with, compared to neighboring homes. I have been trying to raise a garden, and it is a struggle. It basically did nothing this year, and I have heard the same thing from many other people. We had sufficient rain this summer (for once), but the heat was the problem I think.

This year was my year to add 2 rain barrels (only needed one this summer) and a flock of 5 hens. I also learned some construction skills building my hen house.

I still want to work more on growing more of our food. This is the hardest thing for me right now.

I also want to work toward decreasing our dependency on Louisville Gas & Electric. I think I am in a good spot to add some solar panels & thinking about starting that project when I get my tax return.

I have looked around here a bit and it looks pretty interesting. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

S

sunsaver

:welcome I live in a suburb, and managed to go completely off-grid solar. I also grow 20-80% of my own food (depending on the season) in my front and back yard. So it can be done. It was not easy, but you just have to stay focused on self sufficiency. Best wishes in your venture!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:frow Glad you are joining us! City dweller here. It is not WHERE you live - it is HOW you live. You will learn a lot on this forum.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
:frow Welcome! Make sure the house doesn't have air leaks then do a search for solar on this site for some ideas. Sunsaver has a good thread on it.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome Don't be discouraged on the gardening. It was a terrible year for most. Between the early rains...then the dreaded heat..gardening was tough for a lot of people. Ours was horrible. :/ FarmFresh said it best....just keep on keeping on!