frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I though FEM was in Minnesota for some strange reason <--- OLDTIMERS that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ummmm, and here's where it gets worse....you mailed me corn seeds - to TEXAS!! :) (And, I really appreciate it!)

This southern girl would NEVER manage that far north... I'd turn into a giant popsicle!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ummmm, and here's where it gets worse....you mailed me corn seeds - to TEXAS!! :) (And, I really appreciate it!)

This southern girl would NEVER manage that far north... I'd turn into a giant popsicle!

Honestly, I remember mailing you some seeds but I didn't pay any mind to the address I mailed them too. You know the space between my ears is only so big and it doesn't seem to retain as much as it used too. So I have to pick and choose what gets stored in there :lol

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Another way of getting improved soil on the cheap is to spread out about a foot of hay~not straw~on your garden areas right now, letting it rot down all winter and also soften the soils underneath. By spring you'll be surprised how soft and black that soil is under that hay. Worms LOVE it, so they work like crazy to pull that stuff into their burrows, softening up your soils without a single drop of sweat from you.

Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another way of getting improved soil on the cheap is to spread out about a foot of hay~not straw~on your garden areas right now, letting it rot down all winter and also soften the soils underneath. By spring you'll be surprised how soft and black that soil is under that hay. Worms LOVE it, so they work like crazy to pull that stuff into their burrows, softening up your soils without a single drop of sweat from you.

Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

+1

In addition to hay, I also like hardwood leaf litter. Any hardwood leaves is good, except walnut which ain't good. Rake or blow into your planned garden area when you clean up from fall, don't be afaid to make a big deep pile. Then water it down real well and throw a bunch of garden lime lime over top of it. Come spring you'll have some nice black top soil to till into the existing soil underneath it. Reapeat for several years and soon you'll be the envy of all things garden soil.

Of course I'm and old school gardener so I also add ammonia nitrate as needed and only when I notice my plants are showing signs of low nitrogen in their leaves. Ammonia nitrate is cheap, very easy to work with and a little goes a long way. Just observe all percautions when storing it to avoid a fire. I just buy it when i need it and that way I don't have to worry about storing it. Ammonia nitrate stores real well at the store :)

OffGridWannaBe

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm originally from South Africa! Grew up in Rustenburg and then moved around a bit before settling in the Klein Karoo on a farm. I emigrated to Ireland just over 3 years ago. Where in S.A. do you live?

Originally KZN then Pretoria then back to KZN now.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe a Keyhole garden would work for You, I believe the concept is African

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome!
My land here was almost pure cinders (volcanic) when we moved here; it looked like sand. I threw up some raised beds so I could concentrate on just where my garden plants were going to be, and used well-rotted horse manure as much as possible.

I have chickens also-- and I was amazed to see how much the roosters add to the general health and well-being of the hens. I always thought they just had one job, lol. But I've watched how they make sure all their girls get a shot at any goodies I give them, and they brake up "girl fights" too. They wait until all the girls have had their fill of whatever while they keep an eye out for predators before they finally grab something to eat.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome! :) @Beekissed and @baymule comes to mind for soil improvement tips. @CrealCritter is a great gardener as well. Apologies to everyone I left out now :oops: I "farmed" small scale on terraces as well, years ago. It's a bit difficult, but it's doable. What chickens are you thinking of getting? Meat birds, layers, dual purpose?