Newby

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey Sharon, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. What are your interests in being more self sufficient?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome, @SHARON JACOBE I think a LOT of people are starting to see the benefits of knowing a little more about where the stuff we eat and use come from, and how to make it. Matter of fact, I've got a girlfriends-get-together coming up this week to make up batches of homemade cleaners and such.
I wish we could do more animals, but we only have half an acre. So I have chickens and turkeys. DH doesn't want rabbits, and he's allergic to rodents so guinea pigs are out.... not enough space to keep a regular pig far enough from the open windows either...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have 8 acres. We raise Katahdin hair sheep, chickens, currently have 2 feeder pigs that go to slaughter August 24. We have 4 horses, 2 are old seniors, retired from everything except eating. LOL I raise a big garden, can, dehydrate and freeze the produce. I learned a lot more than I already knew when I joined here. Lots of friendly folks here.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
4.3 acres here. 2 acres cleared and usable. Remainder is marginal, poor quality, bony, some vernal pools. Would require thousands of $$$ to turn it into usable land. 40 x 48' garden here, and several flower gardens, HK mound, and sheet composting area that are also pressed into gardening space as time and energy allows. Chickens and ducks.

Latest posts