Newly adopted doeling! pix p 2

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It will be hard to get her to take a bottle--but it is better for them. the kids I keep basically wean themselves. Last fall, the three kids I had--my little buck was one of them weaned themselves hmm probably at about 4 months, maybe close to 5 months, bottle once a day at that time. Goats milk is good for growing bones. It got to a point when they wanted a bit of feed instead of a bottle or didn't finish the bottle. Did her dam have her CDT? There were some good goat sites and new forums listed--check what people do to raise the kids--everyone has to do what works for them and their goats. we would like some pictures---

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh what sometimes works for us is to get them to suck on a finger, then slip the bottle in the mouth. If it is a new nipple, the nipple is hard, so she may chew on it for a while, cause it isn't at all like mamas equipment. if she can get her tongue in the right shape to take the nipple, she may catch on right away. Just keep on trying. A March 20th baby is way to young to be weaned-- JMO. Carolyn

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Where is my mama?????

580_picture_012.jpg

And my pretty little girl.....

580_picture_010.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
She is doing ok, I gave up yesterday on the bottle. She was getting traumatized by the process. She was starting to run when she saw me, and would not let me touch her head without a fight. I have a tick to take off her ear and I am putting it off, gotta go do it now. I never got more than an ounce out of the bottle, and she and I would both be soaked, so I doubt any got into her.

I did catch her looking for an udder on one of the pygmies, one that is watching over her a bit.

I worry that she won't develop properly without milk, but I am at a loss as to what to do. I tried determinedly. It seemed that she would almost start to suck, then would try to spit out the nipple, and when I continually put it back in her mouth, she would just clamp down on it and hold still, waiting for her chance, then spit it out. Finally, she would kinda go limp and semi-close her eyes in resignation. It was just too much. I tried several times a day for 5 days. I bought every style of nipple available. I sucked from the bottle myself to make sure they worked. I enlarged the holes with an x cut.

She does have access to pasture, alfalfa/grass mix hay, alfalfa pellets, a handful of Mya's mix twice a day (barley, oats, sunflower seeds, beet pulp, all soaked, and for baby, a few finely diced veggies....carrot and whatever is available like brocolli, green beans, greens, apple, etc) pasture daily, and I pick dandelion greens for her for when she goes back in the stall. She will eat the whole pile, maybe 2-4 quarts of greens. She is a good eater and seems to be gaining weight when I pick her up. She has a solid feel to her and moves around and is very interested in everything.

She drinks well from the water bucket but won't drink milk from a bowl.

Oh, and I tried mixing a little milk into her grain mix, and tried soaking some alfalfa pellets in some, she takes a sniff and walks away, even if I just use a tiny bit of milk. The chickens have enjoyed all my experiments.

I will NEVER get an unweaned goat again. I will ALWAYS sell my babies at at least 2 months old, unless someone wants to bottle one from day one. Sheesh, this is nerve-wracking. I am usually very good with animals, so it is very frustrating and confidence-shaking, too. :hit

ETA: Oh, and I changed her name to Ginger!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
She is doing ok, I gave up yesterday on the bottle. She was getting traumatized by the process. She was starting to run when she saw me, and would not let me touch her head without a fight. I have a tick to take off her ear and I am putting it off, gotta go do it now. I never got more than an ounce out of the bottle, and she and I would both be soaked, so I doubt any got into her.

I did catch her looking for an udder on one of the pygmies, one that is watching over her a bit.

I worry that she won't develop properly without milk, but I am at a loss as to what to do. I tried determinedly. It seemed that she would almost start to suck, then would try to spit out the nipple, and when I continually put it back in her mouth, she would just clamp down on it and hold still, waiting for her chance, then spit it out. Finally, she would kinda go limp and semi-close her eyes in resignation. It was just too much. I tried several times a day for 5 days. I bought every style of nipple available. I sucked from the bottle myself to make sure they worked. I enlarged the holes with an x cut.

She does have access to pasture, alfalfa/grass mix hay, alfalfa pellets, a handful of Mya's mix twice a day (barley, oats, sunflower seeds, beet pulp, all soaked, and for baby, a few finely diced veggies....carrot and whatever is available like brocolli, green beans, greens, apple, etc) pasture daily, and I pick dandelion greens for her for when she goes back in the stall. She will eat the whole pile, maybe 2-4 quarts of greens. She is a good eater and seems to be gaining weight when I pick her up. She has a solid feel to her and moves around and is very interested in everything.

She drinks well from the water bucket but won't drink milk from a bowl.

Oh, and I tried mixing a little milk into her grain mix, and tried soaking some alfalfa pellets in some, she takes a sniff and walks away, even if I just use a tiny bit of milk. The chickens have enjoyed all my experiments.

I will NEVER get an unweaned goat again. I will ALWAYS sell my babies at at least 2 months old, unless someone wants to bottle one from day one. Sheesh, this is nerve-wracking. I am usually very good with animals, so it is very frustrating and confidence-shaking, too. :hit

ETA: Oh, and I changed her name to Ginger!
Ginger--cool name --I like it.

yea if not trained to bottle feed immediately when born, it is a monster fight to try to get them to take it...especially at that age.

1 month is young to go on feed cause their food stomachs are not developed. you might get lucky and have a great goat or have a sickly goat when older if she lives.

always get a weaned kid....life is truly easier! :)

This happened to me....about 10 years ago. I learned from it. Doe has 3 kids. 2 ate fine I know, but the 3rd never seemed to be around mom at all....that little goat would go out into the pasture with the bigg'uns and eat grass....hmmm....a 3 week old goat eating grass is not normal to that level.

I realized too late the doe was not letting her suck. So she was resorting to grazing. But being so little it was doing nothing for her at all...the milk stomach requires milk to live at that age.

So---I tried to bottle feed, etc. and she died. literally from starvation.

Of course after that experience I know to watch it all....not just assume the doe is letting the kid suck. I make sure it happens.

BUT---never realizing that the kid was eating grass to try to survive???

duh on my part...but I learned.

So the motto of the story is...if the doe is sucking that kid, let the natural time be allowed for a strong healthy kid to form. leaving it with mom to real wean time is best.

whew...alot of typing..LOL

glad to hear she is doing fine though!!!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Could you take her back to the previous owner so she can be with her mother until she's completely weaned off, then just take her back?

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I didn't understand the owners letting her go so young to be weaned. Good luck, keep us posted.