News about the effects of GM feeds on animals.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I consider our food supply a "resource" so here it is.

I found an interesting article when patrolling the web. It seems the GM modified grains when fed to animals DOES have an impact on them. The report came out of New Zealand. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/newsletter/199/thepoultrysite-newsletter-26th-november-2007

edited to fix the link copying error. oops!

edited again to say :

I copied the article below. I hope you can find more info on the above link. :/

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Nope Guess not.

I can't figure out how to get you to the right page. Perhaps it is just because I am a member and signed in that I can get there. So I will paste the article below.

ThePoultrySite Newsletter - 19 November 2009

"Editorial - Significant Development in the Great GM Debate

Until this week, received scientific opinion has been that feeding genetically modified (GM) feed ingredients has no impact on the meat or eggs of the birds eating that feed because all the components are either digested and assimilated or excreted exactly as for any non-GM feed ingredient. In short, there is no danger of any 'GM residue' in the poultry product.

But this week, a court ruling in New Zealand casts doubt on that received opinion. Inghams Enterprises (NZ) has received a warning from the Commerce Commission for claiming in advertising material that its chickens are 'GM-free'.

The ruling is based on an expert report, in which Professor Heinemann concluded: "The cumulative strength of the positive detections reviewed...leave me in no reasonable uncertainty that GM plant material can transfer to animals exposed to GM feed in their diets or environment, and that there can be a residual difference in animals or animal-products as a result of exposure to GM feed."

This decision could have significant implications in the future for the poultry industries in other countries, particularly those in the EU, for example where there is already strong opposition to GM foods and feed ingredients.

Last week, the 16th World Veterinary Poultry Association (WVPA) Congress was held in Marrakech, Morocco. It was a most successful event, attended by a record number of participants more than 1,400 delegates from 85 countries across the world. The attendance is a reflection of the growing importance of poultry health around the world as well as the attraction of the location.

And finally, statistics published for meat production in Germany have revealed record poultry meat output during the third quarter of 2009 five per cent higher than the same period last year.

Jackie Linden"

Maybe you can still find more information on the site proper as well. It is an interesting site with lots of info on the commercial poultry industry.