Next kitchen appliance... what should it be?

ellie_may12

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I make my own cheese, but wouldn't recommend buying a kit until you know that you want to dive into the whole aged cheese world.

Get some citric acid, rennet tablets and very fresh milk. Make up a few batches of fresh mozzarella to see if you like making cheese first.

My brother gave me a whole kit and honestly after failing at mozzarella several times, I'm scared to try the aged stuff. Failed mozzarella is edible, but is more like a cream cheese if it is whole milk or a hockey puck if it is low fat milk.

Yogurt making can be done in a good insulated cooler. I have never seen the point in buying an appliance to do that. Or cultures for that matter. I just use plain yogurt from the grocery store.

I loved my bread maker, but gave it up when I got a fancy mixer that could knead dough. Ha! I killed the mixer, so now no bread maker or fancy mixer. Just a hand mixer here now. So, I would spend my money there. or on a dehydrator...I hate raisins from a box, but dehydrated grapes are delish! LOL

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hunterjumper999 said:
I have a mixer, icecream maker and crockpot.

Id like to try yogurt and cheese and jerky . i enjoy making my own bread when time allows. what would everyone reccomend?
FIRST, make room in your kitchen and pantry for storage. :lol:
Yogurt makers?
I loved the one I had in the 1980's. I've been thinking about buying another one. TOTALLY yum, and lots easier than the crockpot method.
Cheese kits?
Didn't know that anybody made them. :idunno I think you'd want access to fresh milk for this--do you have goats? I can't remember...
Dehydrators?
Own one. I use it, in fits and starts. ALWAYS works, even after long storage. Mine has five dishwasher safe trays.
bread maker?
Mom gave me one. Brand new. We NEVER use it. I used to make bread the old fashioned way 20 years ago. Time consuming. If you like making it, you might like one.
Ps. it has to come from amazon.com because its a gift certificate.
Guess you're buying one of the above. :lol:

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
thanks everyone.. im going to keep checking aound- I like the books and thrift store way and my fiance and I are going to her grandma's in sept and they are from the Fl panhandle and do much theirselves so maybe we'll score something from her :)

victoria19

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
What I have as my appliances in my small apartment type house is a refrigerator, TV, range cooker and lastly my ever favorite appliances, the food processor.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I second the immersion blender, especially because mine has a super cool chopper attachment. It helps me hide veggies from myself. :p I don't know if you have that problem, but I can grind up all sorts of stuff into the "broth" of a soup, then put the chunks of yummy things to be the focus. And the chopper lets me cut onions without smelling them, which is a blessing if I'm cooking the night before (like I have to do about 99% of the time) and don't want to smell onions at 10 pm and then all night.

I do love my dehydrator though, but don't use it much. The occasional batch of apple chips or jerky, but I've found that a lot of other things are just easier to make in the oven.