NEXT Year's Garden Planning

ellie_may12

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Great responses!

Down here in zone 8B, we are just gearing up for the fall gardening season! I just planted some cabbage, broccoli and collards to be transplanted later on. I also planted some bush cucumbers (spacemaster) in hopes of getting a few more cukes. In a couple of weeks, I'll be planting spinach, carrots, beets and mustard greens.

After a slow start this year, I was able to keep all but one chicken out of the garden. So that is my goal for next year...either Stirfry stays out of the garden or she lives up to her name.

As for next spring, everything needs to go in the ground by Good Friday. Or at least the first planting does.

Next year, I'm going to do a better job of keeping track of what I have planted and where. LOL For the past 2 years, I have planted the same type of cucumber, Marketmore or Straight Eights, and have not liked them. Those were the only two available at my local Wal-Mart and Home Depot. Next year, I'm going to search out some different varieties and try them.

Next year, I will have a drip irrigation system set up! It makes no sense to use a sprinkler that waters the weeds and evaporates before it hits the ground.

No birdhouse gourds in the garden! That stuff grows around here like a weed and kills other plants. I have a terrible time yanking it up though, because it is not "really" a weed....yes it is!

I would also like to build some sort of way to allow the chickens to roam freely in one part of the garden and be able to alternate sides of the garden for them...kind of like in this article http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira44a.html.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We are starting from scratch since we just moved. I have a long list.

Some sort of compost bin
Build raised beds...I'm thinking 8 4x4 beds
put up fence
I want to build a greenhouse/shed type thing with some leftover windows to start our seeds in
I bought all sorts of seeds before I knew we were going to move so I am hoping they will be okay for next year :fl

Got a big tree pot that I'm gonna do carrots in
want to add mushroom compost to all the beds in addition to horse manure
Got to make a proper worm farm cause hubby wants to get rid of the rabbits
build a cold frame to go over one of the raised beds
gonna plant cukes, zukes, squash, carrots, beans, peas, pumpkins, maters, watermelons, swiss chard, kohlrabi, broccoli, peppers, sunflowers, lots of herbs.....gonna read up on my herbs this winter

Got 3 apple trees planted, 2 pear trees, 2 cherry and 6 blueberry bushes....hopefully they don't die. Thinking about adding 2 peach trees next year....we'll see.