NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol we can't do anything to even get this place ready to move until the snow melts!

Yesterday it was 72 in the town we want to move to in TN. It was 36 here. And we got freezing rain last night. So yeah... It's almost April and I am still wearing my coveralls and a winter hat and gloves to feed animals. Stupid!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everyone is due for hoof trimmings, and one doe is due for CDT. So I'm hoping for decent weather at some point this week. I have 5 turkey eggs for the incubator now, and today and tomorrow left to collect. I wish I could wait until they were laying better but I'm running out of time if we want them to mature in the fall for butchering before it gets too cold.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Incubator has been running all day to get the temp regulated, getting humidity set and I'll rinse eggs and put them in this evening. Only 7. Should have been 9-10 but we have a problem. On several occasions now we have seen our black Spanish hens eating eggs. But most of the eggs are left intact. My husband is fairly certain they are killing the chocolate hen's eggs before they hatch because she is a newbie here and they hate her. I think he might be right! Turkeys are truly that smart (and apparently, that evil).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YAY on turkey eggs! But, I've got a question. I've always heard that you shouldn't wash eggs before you incubate them. Is it different for turkey eggs?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well evidently it is a hot topic. I just went with the Storey's Guide recommendation, which says to wash them in warm water. Apparently not everyone agrees! Lol. So, darned if you do and darned if you don't.

I'm going to try to wash them because my turkeys are spastic and don't lay in clean places all the time. Warm, humid temps are a good bacteria environment.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well my chickens lay in their nest boxes, which are usually fairly clean. My turkeys... Usually lay where I put hay down for them but I found an egg in the mud outside yesterday. And one in a random corner of the coop.

No this time of year we get to have both snow and mud! It's quite pleasant, and will soon give way to all mud. There are a few weeks most years we can't get in and out of the driveway with the car. Thank goodness for the Jeep!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are forecasted to get 6 inches of snow Friday. Awesome.:th