NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's expensive stuff! Any idea how they do in electric netting?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With a perimeter fence, I don't trust electric as my only fencing!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went apple picking today. We pull in and my daughter commented on the yuppies. Rich tourists everywhere! I usually go on weekdays but my mom wanted to go and she works at an elementary school so... We deal.

Bad apple year so super expensive tiny apples. But we made due. Apple sauce simmering on the stove next to another pot of chicken stock for tomorrow. Might try another orchard this week, they might have more. I was looking for drops but they wanted $17/half bushel. Eek!

No more chicken casualties. One bird is healing up from earlier injuries. Knock on wood the rest of them look OK right now. Supposed to butcher chickens for someone this week so our tom and his messed up offspring are going.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for apples... but a bad apple year does make for higher prices....ugh! But, I'll bet your sauce turns out great!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep--HIGH prices When you can buy a # of chuck roast for same as a # of apples........you know there's trouble.
So I got some as a store special today, small sized Gala but very nice and $1 # in 3# bags. Will fry up a big pan of apples in AM. Love those! Breakfast & freezer.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah it was depressing! 90% of the reason I make applesauce is so I can make pork chops with my homemade version of shake and bake and applesauce. Have to butcher that pig pronto.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's expensive stuff! Any idea how they do in electric netting?

Yes it is expensive, but it's worth it. I already went wrong on fencing before, not doing that again.

Apple picking sounds like fun. It's terrible that they are so expensive, do I hear planting apple trees in your future plans?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah us too. We have a ton of welded wire fencing. My wether destroyed it, so far it seems OK for the does but they can get out if they really want to. But I can't use it for the boys and I wouldnt try it with sheep.

Our property is covered in apple trees, but they've been here for who knows how long and were never maintained. So we have to get through the brush (which is so substantial) and to the trees, cut them back and see what happens. The ones we can get to are pretty sour apples. But yes we do plan to plant some as well as blueberry bushes!

This winter I want to snowshoe the property and map out where the good trees are and where we can put animals. Then put them to work when the brush grows back!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even the sour apples will make livestock food! Haha, you'll have to taste test the apples to see what trees you want for yourself. If apples are sour, can you cook with them or can them?