NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I support local pig breeders by buying feeder pigs from them. I called a Hereford Hog breeder today, but she doesn't have any due until April. I am on the hunt!

Sometimes I think I would want to raise hogs, then I think about it and tell myself no.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would prefer not to raise hogs, just like DH would probably prefer not to raise sheep! Lol. I liked getting feeder pigs and butchering them before winter. Now we have to deal with separating our boar most of the year (which makes him grumpy), the land never gets a break from having pigs on it (and we dont have a ton of land), and feeding a nursing sow and what feels like a zillion piglets is not cheap. Plus then you either need to castrate the boar piglets or separate them, and you have to worry about the boar getting to his daughters. It's kind of a pain. I'd gladly leave it to someone else!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get the ram, hopefully next weekend! Waiting for pics. I'm actually only going to put 2 ewes in with him for now. My oldest ewe is still thin from raising twin lambs last year so I'm giving her more time to gain and hopefully we'll get spring lambs next year from her. If not she's a lovely fiber pet! And I'll keep another with her just to keep her company.

I've been having stomach issues. Trying to narrow down what food(s) seem to be the issue. I suspect dairy but there are other possibilities. Last night my stomach hurt so badly, it was awful. So definitely going to try dairy free for a while and see if that's what's going on.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry that you are having digestive woes. That is certainly no fun. I hope you can narrow it down to what is causing you the trouble. Late in life, my Mother developed an allergy to the nightshade family-eggplant, tomatoes, peppers-she couldn't eat any of it or she broke out in a burning, itching rash.

You just summed up why I want to be a pig FEEDER and not a pig BREEDER! LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that's interesting, and sad!

Sometimes I think my DH just breeds his pigs because he likes our original two and he wants to make them useful, even though he'd be as happy having them as pets lol. Heck that's why I'm going to breed my sheep!

So I'm not eating poultry or pork, and I'm going on a trial of no dairy... I need lamb to keep me from being an accidental vegan 🤣

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Decided not to get a ram until fall... I don't want babies born in July. Too hot, too many parasites. So... I decided to get goats instead 🤦‍♀️ yep, I miss milk and cheese and soap making... I have acres of brush for them to work on and I'm doing it differently this time. Starting with a doeling and her wether brother, kinders! The doeling should be ready for a fall breeding, so next year I'll have lambs and kids, and most importantly milk!

Spring is coming!! Still winter but it can't stay too much longer!

Oh, and with my tax return I paid off my car, paid my house and car insurance premiums for the year, bought some farm supplies and have money in the bank for property taxes. Yay!

Oh also stocking up a little because I'm paranoid of the coronavirus... yuck.