NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is DS12 still homeschooled? I've thought about 4H but it's a little... not real farmers around here. I'm having budget issues myself... DH got a new job and makes more $$ which is awesome except I'm now spending more $$. Working on that!

Glad to hear you're healthier! Hope it stays that way!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cold. As usual, lol. Been lots of snow, then rain, and ice and then it gets warm and we get icy mud. It's been fairly unpleasant. I started taking vitamin D and b12 hoping to stay less miserable this winter.

I still want to move. DH still doesn't!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Is DS12 still homeschooled? I've thought about 4H but it's a little... not real farmers around here. I'm having budget issues myself... DH got a new job and makes more $$ which is awesome except I'm now spending more $$. Working on that!

Glad to hear you're healthier! Hope it stays that way!

Still homeschooled! Still failing every. single. class. Unschooling sounds sooooo tempting. I told DS12 no livestock entries for the fair! I'm not supervising him supervising a lamb for 4 days! But I did find the fair has a section for pocket pets, etc, and he can enter his hermit crab and habitat in that class. He can do cat too. Not sure how well a one-eyed cat will fare on a show bench, but, LOL whatever! He's doing sewing projects, houseplants, and depending how green his thumb is he might have a couple dozen flower / vegetable / herb entries.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I don't blame you with the livestock! It's a lot of work! My issue is more paranoia about exposure to who knows what. I know some of the people who show and I don't really want my animals near their animals, lol

Yeah unschooling sounds good! I'm kind of eclectic with some unschooling... but I can't unschool math. Just can't. Lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Then show in market class so you're not bringing an animal home! ;) and sanitize your boots and gear! ewwww. Yes, biosecurity is definitely a concern!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ohh makes sense. My sheep would fail miserably at the market class! Lol 3 of them have been shown in 4H... I dont know what they have for classes even, I just go to the fair to look at the animals!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Hopefully gardening goes well for us this year. Just got my seed catalogs! Fedco and Baker Creek are the only ones I get. 90% of my seeds come from Fedco, love them.

When I was pregnant with DD2 I lost my taste for chicken, haven't eaten it since. Now I've lost my taste for pork (helpful, for a pig farmer). Since beef is so expensive and we do not have enough land to raise a steer, I'm practically vegetarian at the moment. So I'd better have some luck gardening! DH didn't get a deer this year either, which was a bummer.