nice smelling fabric softner recipe?

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know there has to be one on here somewhere I just cant find it. I did see about the distilled vinegar but I like a nice smelling softener. Can someone point me in the right direction?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I use white vinegar, so I haven't used it, but I do have this one recipe in my files. If you use it, please let us know how you liked it. :D

Homemade Fabric Softener

1 cup baking soda
6 cups distilled vinegar
8 cups water
10-15 drops lavender oil or other scented essential oil (optional)
One 1 gallon plastic container

First add the baking soda to the plastic container
Next add 1 cup of the water to start with
Slowly add the vinegar to the container as the vinegar and baking soda will start to fizz
Then add the rest of the water swirling around, cover; venting the top a few times.
Last add the essential oil

Add 1 cup to your final rinse cycle for each load, but give the bottle a good shake to stir up the essential oil if using.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks I will try it, i know about the baking soda and vinegar. I used to use it to unclog greasy pipes at my parents house.....till the day I blew the side out of the aluminum pipe :hu :rolleyes:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I use Keljonma's recipe...love it with Vanilla Lavender oil.

Edited to add...if you keep tabs on sales at Bath & Body Works you can pick up their fragrance oils for 2 bucks each (that is a couple times a year...right now with the change of seasons may be a good time, I got mine after the winter holiday sales).
That is what I use :)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
I use Keljonma's recipe...love it with Vanilla Lavender oil.

Edited to add...if you keep tabs on sales at Bath & Body Works you can pick up their fragrance oils for 2 bucks each (that is a couple times a year...right now with the change of seasons may be a good time, I got mine after the winter holiday sales).
That is what I use :)
thanks, i wondered how expensive they would be and where to get them

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My very first batch was made with the baking soda and vinegar recipe with essential oils and smelled wonderful! However, the smell did not transfer to the dry laundry, it just smelled "clean." I eventually just used plain white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser and the laundry still smells simply "clean." The baking soda had started to build up a little in the dispenser and adding the plain vinegar cleaned it out.

Just an FYI from a nut about toxins in my environment (you can do whatever you want! :lol: ), fragrance oils and essential oils are not the same. The first is toxic, the second is health-promoting. Only an fyi in case someone doesn't know this and is making their own primarily to address health concerns, it is not a criticism. I didn't know the difference until a few years ago, and avoided ALL scents, even the essential oils, until I met a wonderful certified aromatherapist who educated me, thank you, Maureen of Earthly Essences, if you are out there somewhere, I lost track of you!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, i made it. Not so easy to do if your familiar with chemistry ;) and I will say it works Ok, just ok. And doesnt really do much if your line drying. But I will use up what I have left.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am DEFINITELY not as into the natural ways as so many of you awesome ladies are. There...I confessed !

When I make my liquid laundry soap, I add a bottle or two of dollar store fabric softener at the end, before the long time of stirring/cooling/stirring. I have noticed a significant difference, even on line dried clothing.

And to further reveal how non organic I am :hide I also add a dollar store box of powdered, color-safe bleach.

There...now I am fully "out". :ep

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not too SS, but tossing the clothes in the dryer on air for just a few minutes will soften them up. Not the towels, they'll still be a bit, ummm, exfoliant? :lol: But the jeans don't stand up by themselves.

Awww, Ldy, how... how... how commercial of you! :lol: J/K

You make me jealous with your thousands of jars of food, so there :plbb