Nicknames - post has nothing to do with being self sufficient LOL

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a Christopher & a Jacob, also known as Chris & Jake. Can't get more common or obvious nicknames than that, lol.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a Samantha, who likesto be called Sam. I like it too.
Then my youngest is Bubba. He never gets called his birth name, except at school. He demands everyone else call him his full name, no nicknames.

I figure each his/her own. I am Suzanne. I perfer to be called by my full name. But I dont even flinch now, I am called Suzy, Suzy Q, Susan, San, Sue, anne, sannie, suzannie. on and on.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I hate my real name. I was named after my male parents ex step daughter. How's that for tacky? :/ Dang anesthesia, I coulda been Sarah :barnie

Not as bad as DD's first given name though...named after a witch :lol: :hide She hates it, I don't blame her at ALL. If by some miracle we ever do have a child, naturally, or adopted, DH will NOT have the final say in that child's name. Men I know tend to not put a lot of thought into it.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first was named by her dad while I was in a coma. She hates her name. He blended my name and his mothers. His mom was a witch and a half. She was supposed to be a Denise, and she ended up being a Gerianne. Poor thing.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not a nickname fan either.

worst is grown men being called Bobby, Robby or Tommy etc....ugh

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I have an unusual name, not unique, but very seldom found in this country, and not all that often even in Ireland where it came from. I have been in the same room with another person with the same name not more than 5 times in my almost 60 years. It is also very short, so it doesn't get shortened, though it sometimes gets purposefully mispronounced (more often the mispronunciation is inadvertent). I'm also a redhead (or was ;)) so I got called *freckles* a lot. But as a child I did NOT like having an unusual name. Now I appreciate that when I hear my name I know that it is me being addressed, but in grade school it would have been nice to have had an *ordinary* name like my friends. My brothers all have unusual names as well - all 3 were given surnames from back in the family tree. All can be shortened to more *ordinary* sounding names, but none of my brothers chose to do that, insisting in fact to have people call them by their given names.
same here

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My family has always used nicknames. I am a Cynthia, but have always been Cindy (I changed the spelling in 5th grade to Cindi, to be different. Everybody but my Dad spell it that way now). My brother was a Jr. He was called Johnny. I still do, even though he is 6' 4" and going quite bald :D My first DS was Christopher. His nickname was Boudreau right up until HS, when it became Chris. My youngest has his fathers name, but is NOT a Jr. He was called Monkey for the majority of his young life, until he tired of it and asked to be called by his given name. His Dad does not use his given name, but a nickname (Mike), so it works out. I got a little weirded out when a group of people started calling my youngest Mikey, but he didn't care.

In my family, if somebody uses your given name - especially all three of them - it means you are in big trouble!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
or scary when you hear the stories....like I was born on Dec 7, Pearl Harbor Day.
Mom wanted to name me Pearl---thank goodness for Dad! :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Nothing gets called by it's given name around here. :p My daughter's name is Samantha...it has morphed over the years and now she goes by several different nicknames. The latest is "Me-mo". ("Samantha-mau"-> "Mammie" -> "Meems" and now "Me-mo") To everyone else she is Sam or Samantha though. She only lets me call her goofy nicknames.

All the animals have nicknames. Saint Bernard boy dog's name is "Sully", we call him "Big Bear". Teacup Poodle's name is Daisy, we call her "Trashy Tina". Cat's name is "Scott" we call him "Precious" (he is fat and girly). My last St Bernard female was named "Jane" but I often called her "Bobby Mcgee" because she had a bounce in her step, she also went by "Lulu". And so on. The nicknames change often. I like to keep them on their toes.

My dad calls me "Sal" otherwise I'm Sally to everyone else.