Ninny-- Kiowa's training journal (my lab)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello!! I have decided to start a journal about what my chocolate lab Kiowa is learning. My hope is that in doing this I will keep up on his training. He was born in March 2006. I bought him at a farmer swap. It's a flea market with livestock sold too. I wanted a blood hound but they were out of males. So it was between a red bone coon hound and the chocolate labs. Well the hound had fleas and joint issues already. Too much calcium will kill a puppy's legs. So we got my Kiowa instead. We joke that he might have been the best 200 bucks we ever spent. I never did send in his papers. I should but oh well. I think I may just send his CGC paperwork in without the registration papers. But it's a title now so I should cough up the dough and send it. He was a certified therapy dog but was retired. He developed dog aggression issues so we had to retired him. Mostly because he is over protective of me. The other dog jumped on me and he pinned it. He never broke skin but still attacked the other dog. He was awesome at his job though so I am still upset about it. I had him by 6 months gathering laundry around the house and putting it in the basket. Then grabbing the rope and taking the basket to the steps for me and can take laundry out of the dryer and put in basket. He also is awesome as a search dog. He can article search and manhunt. He is my mobile diaper bag when we go to the park. My oldest daughter loves it when there's enough snow for him to pull her sled.

Here is the problem I slacked off between two kiddos under three so he slipped and I have to start him over again from basics. Blah. So we are going to go through the book 101 Dog Tricks for fun and learn more service skills. Plus I would like to title him in Rally. So here goes the 2013 Kiowa overhaul. I should set some goals I think. I'll have to think about it.

Commands he knows:
Sit, wait, stay(I don't use sit stay with him. It means don't come out of the room), take,hold,give,find it,come,get it,enough,all done,pick it up, pull,open,close,stop,go

You know I don't think I'm doing too bad. He's the first dog I've ever trained.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sounds like an awsome dog! my pittie learns fast but, dh english bull dog is 8 mos old and just now at 75% on housebreaking. and that is going to slip becouse of his illness.

my pit will bring the mail to the house for me, might see if i can get her to pick up the kids socks off the floor! lol

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a chocolate lab pup that is just 4 months right now, she knows sit and no so far. I have found her to be a quick learner. We completely housebroke her in a week. Sounds like you have a good dog, and a great start on training him. I need to work with mine a bit more, but she currently is suffering from puppy A.D.D. lol!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
sounds like an awsome dog! my pittie learns fast but, dh english bull dog is 8 mos old and just now at 75% on housebreaking. and that is going to slip becouse of his illness.

my pit will bring the mail to the house for me, might see if i can get her to pick up the kids socks off the floor! lol
Thanks. To bad about your bulldog hope he feels better soon. I figure they should earn thier feed somehow. So yes I say train that pitte into your personal maid! :thumbsup

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I have a chocolate lab pup that is just 4 months right now, she knows sit and no so far. I have found her to be a quick learner. We completely housebroke her in a week. Sounds like you have a good dog, and a great start on training him. I need to work with mine a bit more, but she currently is suffering from puppy A.D.D. lol!
I don't labs ever get over puppy add. :lol: Kiowa will be five and he is just started to settle down. Keep up the good work. I suggest getting the book 101 Dog Tricks by Kara Sundance. It is a really good book. Everything from basics to tricks and service skills. Well worth the money. If your library has it check it out and do a small part at a time. When you get one down check it out again.

I love Donna Hill on youtube as well. Micheal Ellis is very good too.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my son and his american bull dog stayed with me a while 2 years ago...i taught it dog to turn around in a circle then sit for its treat...christmas it was here visiting...and i was touched when it remembered it right away, and earned its turkey treat...my son..said he had never done the trick for him...but she remembered...

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cheepo said:
my son and his american bull dog stayed with me a while 2 years ago...i taught it dog to turn around in a circle then sit for its treat...christmas it was here visiting...and i was touched when it remembered it right away, and earned its turkey treat...my son..said he had never done the trick for him...but she remembered...
That's funny! Maybe he doesn't get the good treats!:D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
cheepo that's sweet! :) I love dogs!!

ninny, thanks for the info, I may check into that book!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
cheepo that's sweet! :) I love dogs!!

ninny, thanks for the info, I may check into that book!
I hope you do! We could work threw it together!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think my fluffball is going to require a LOAD of effort lol! I am used to Pitties, and their energy, but wow, she is just as bad!!! :lol: