No food wasting?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think that's great! We have a food pantry in town that gets a lot of food from a local grocery store. Unfortunately they're open one day a week for 2 hours and their application to receive free food is about as complicated as a college application.

I wanted to start a community garden, and have people volunteer to teach cooking classes. Too often people don't know what to do with fresh veggies even if they have them!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
NOTHING goes to waste here....between chickens, dogs, cats and compost, it's all turned into energy for something else. Then garden and fruit harvest time the same thing happens, with everything going in one end, coming out the other and getting reapplied to make more food.

Glad my dogs aren't delicate. ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ever go to a buffet style restaurant and want to bend folks over and whip them with a belt? I've been there and felt that way. Especially if it's my own family wasting all that food. :rant

Was at a Chinese place the other day and the ladies at the table next to me each had 3 plates heaped to the max in front of them...and I mean heaped up. I did a double take and so did Ma...we were both thinking, "Man! No WAY those gals can put away that much food...this we gotta see!"

We saw. They each ate one plate and left two heaping plates behind~each. I heard one of them say, "I guess my eyes were bigger than my stomach." :th :rant :smack Who in the world gets three plates of food at once???? o_O

Not only was that a horrible waste of food, but think about these restaurant's livelihood and what a loss of profit that is to them. Then they have to jack prices to keep up and folks complain about the high prices.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The church down on the corner halfway into town runs a food bank every Saturday from 9-12. Bring a license and you get recorded and can get food once a month from them. I may start taking the weeks extra eggs down there on Saturdays.

They have a community garden that they work so that they have fresh veggies for available. They are expanding the garden this spring.

I have them set up for my Amazon Smile since I shop online quite a bit. Everyone with an Amazon account needs to use their Smile url to do orders. Amazon is doing the donating, to the charity of your choice, so why let it goes to waste.