No garden section? It's the cornerstone of suficiency

Libertyhomestead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am new and glad to find a decent forum about self suficien topics. I'm kind of suprised there isn't a bold section header for gardening. It is the #1 thing and all else is pointless if you can't feed yourself. To be a truly self suficient this must be a main topic of discussion.

Please create a topic section for food production. A subsection for grains would to nice too. More people need to realize that it's easy to grow your own oatmeal or bread too. A 20x25 garden can give you bread for a year.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not everyone wants to use these. I am a member of BYC (and probably the garden site) but sometimes I want to share things with members here instead, because this is a self sufficient forum, not a chicken forum, so some things may be better understood here. Plus the fact that there are different members, this is a smaller site and thus, IMO, more "homey".

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There are only so many 'splinters' that can be dealt with on these forums, and so many changes that can be managed. The Easy Garden is a great little forum, smaller than this one but growing, and it's the proper place to share all things gardening. Backyard Herds is where we can share all info regarding the other critters we deal with on our various sized 'farms'. With over 50,000 members combined across these forums, we aim to please, and I think we do a pretty good job of it. Use all the forums as one and the sharing can continue.

Libertyhomestead said:
I am new and glad to find a decent forum about self suficien topics. I'm kind of suprised there isn't a bold section header for gardening. It is the #1 thing and all else is pointless if you can't feed yourself. To be a truly self suficient this must be a main topic of discussion.

Please create a topic section for food production. A subsection for grains would to nice too. More people need to realize that it's easy to grow your own oatmeal or bread too. A 20x25 garden can give you bread for a year.
Those discussions can go in the Kitchen and Recipes subforum, we've got cheese making, fermenting, etc. covered in there right now.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And shove garden questions etc. in "everything else living or everything else frugal"---they all get read and responded too anyway.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the discussion on how to make this community better!

Let's keep the discussion going and positive / on-topic.

:thumbsup