No Poo?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did the baking soda/vinegar rinse thing last summer, and really liked it. I have below waist length hair which would be curly if it were shorter, and it felt really good on this regimen. I let my hair dry on its own, and tend to smell like vinegar until it is dry, so I don't do this if I am going anywhere soon, or if I'll be in close proximity to my DH - he really dislikes the smell of vinegar. I got out of the habit over the winter, but plan to start up again now that I'm spending more time outdoors. I wash my hair every 4-5 days - more often when I was working and living in a large metropolitan area, less often now that I am retired and living in the clean air of the country. The change wasn't too much of a leap for me as my mother used to rinse my red hair with ACV when I was little, and I continued to do that when I could. I have always liked the squeaky clean feel that gave to my hair.

offdagridsoon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I went no-poo (with BS and ACV) for a while a few years ago. My scalp went through the adjustment period, semi-recovered, and then I had issues with white waxy buildup stuff thereafter. :sick:

I haven't used shampoo since (asides from during my deployment to Afghanistan...the water there was horrible and there was no dealing with it), but have been using dried Indian herbs - shikakai, amla and tulsi, with a bit of cinnamon thrown in. I use that once every 5 days, and do a white vinegar rinse (diluted with hot water), that contains a few drops each of tea tree and rosemary oils, in between. I also henna my hair once every couple of months to keep it strong and less likely to break. :)

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome! I just did the soap and vinegar for the first time a few days ago! So far so good! I'm trying to switch most of my stuff over to dr. bronner's to try and streamline my life. Traveling will be so much easier with just one soap for everything!

Can you tell us a little more about the herbs? I've never really heard of that option.