No question is a dumb question

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Momma insisted geese would eat her oranges off the trees. I will have to figure something out. Maybe I can make a bunch of chicken tractors and rabbit tractors.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Momma insisted geese would eat her oranges off the trees. I will have to figure something out. Maybe I can make a bunch of chicken tractors and rabbit tractors.
Farm animals are down right creative creatures. I watched my neighbors dog stand on his back legs to grab a peach off our tree. Then I watched my dog go into the neighbors garden and grab a big red bell pepper of their plant. I figured it was all even and didn't say anything to anyone. At least the dogs are eating good 😋

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have sheep but, they are more interested in grass than goats!. Aerial predators are deterred but strips of fishing line...maybe you could use that in limited areas. They like clear areas to swoop in and out. 🤷

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wanna piggy back on your post as I consider it related.
So I read once something like this.... so they need equal amount of area to graze but they have different diets so say you have 10 acres you need to manage and some of it is clear and grows grass and the rest is in brambles, you buy the amount of Head equally between goats and sheep. The goats will eat blackberry vines, ragweed, small trees and bushes and poison ivy and the sheep will eat grass.
Okay... I took that to heart and had my heart set on fencing in my orchard and getting a few sheep to maintain the grass and provide me with wool I could learn to spin into yarn but I am now hearing they actually eat a lot more like goats than I was originally led to believe. People have told me they will in fact eat the orange trees.
So I would appreciate some advice here because I still have the orchard and I am getting older everyday. I would love a sustainable way to manage the orchard. Something that hates citrus and loves grass and weeds.
Geese might work better. There is a picture in this old book of geese in a citrus orchard. https://www.nap.edu/read/1831/chapter/11 (click the X at the top right corner to read the chapter)

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Geese don't reach all that high up.... are the orange trees super short ones?