No worms

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe try and dump a bunch of leaves in there, earth worms love leaves.

There's plenty of leaves in there. My wood chips come from tree services. They are 80% leaves by volume and I have pit 12 inches of it in the garden since we started

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's plenty of leaves in there. My wood chips come from tree services. They are 80% leaves by volume and I have pit 12 inches of it in the garden since we started

Weird... I can't ever remember having a garden where is didn't have tons of earth worms. Even in North Carolina where my garden was red clay, I still had tons of earth worms.

I really don't know why you don't have any... I suppose you could try and farm some to add to your garden. I did that when I was a kid and sold them by the dozen to fishermen. You can grow a lot of night crawlers in a 4' x 4' x 12" deep wooden box. I had mine down in the basement of our old house where it was cool. I farmed them in the winter and sold them in the spring and summer. I suppose you could farm them this winter then dump them in your garden this spring.

You don't happen to have a lot of moles do you? Moles eat worms and bugs in the ground.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Weird... I can't ever remember having a garden where is didn't have tons of earth worms. Even in North Carolina where my garden was red clay, I still had tons of earth worms.

I really don't know why you don't have any... I suppose you could try and farm some to add to your garden. I did that when I was a kid and sold them by the dozen to fishermen. You can grow a lot of night crawlers in a 4' x 4' x 12" deep wooden box. I had mine down in the basement of our old house where it was cool. I farmed them in the winter and sold them in the spring and summer. I suppose you could farm them this winter then dump them in your garden this spring.

You don't happen to have a lot of moles do you? Moles eat worms and bugs in the ground.

Moles and gophers. I been kicking their ass all week. Caught 3 this morning

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bingo! @crealbilly I think you hit it on the nail head. Gopher mounds everywhere. The dogs dig caverns trying to get the durn gophers or moles or whatever they are.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
found some more mounds this morning. These little %#$@%@ won't let up. Time to get western

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got two more of them today. One was actually in the garden. He made a mound right by my okra.