Non-Food Consumables

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Regarding razors, they used to say to store your razor in a little jar with enough mineral oil in it to cover the head. I'd think any kind of oil, like olive oil, would work. You just want to keep the air from it to inhibit rust like Britesea said.

My razor blades started lasting longer as soon as I quit leaving it in the shower.

As a kid, we'd use a bobby pin and a bit of TP to fashion a Q tip. I remember poking some through the loopy part of the bobby pin and then kind of twisting it around. Most of the time I used too much TP as there was always 2 squares hanging out of my ear. I wanted to make sure I could retrieve it if it came off the bobby pin. Now, as long as I can afford to buy Q tips, I'll do it. :D

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL

I bought some bamboo ear cleaners ($6), not too different from using the looped end of a bobby pin, but I still need QTips once in a while. We've been able to cut way down, though, with the ear cleaners.

I will try the mineral oil thing, especially now that I have the DE. Back when I used a Venus, I'd rinse, dry, and wipe with lip balm, and that did help prolong their life, but they were just so flipping expensive that I needed to switch things up.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dentist told me that actually, just brushing with water and flossing regular will do almost as good a job on your teeth as any fancy toothepaste :D

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz, scrambled eggs would be a great protein source for your puppy. Don't forget to grind up the eggshell and add it too, for a calcium source. I would cook up the rice and veggies to go with it. Dogs have been running with, and eating the same foods as humans for so long, they are no longer oblate carnivores like their wolf ancestors. But stay away from soy... some dogs are allergic to it. rice or oats are a good grain for them. Every week I boil a chicken and pull the meat for various meals, then use some of the broth for the dog food. I'm thinking about dehydrating some of the cooked food to make dried kibble for them- it would save me a lot of freezer space (not to mention sad puppies if I've forgotten to pull some out early enough to thaw by dinner time- they hate waiting!)