Non-Food Consumables

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am happy to run down my method, but please be aware of a some disclaimers: one, I am still learning and by no means an expert; two, my method is relatively unconventional, because I do so much DIY.

I think the second thing applies to more people here than it does in the general population, but I still feel like I should discuss it.

There is a giant list of stuff that I am not going to get, *even if it is free*. A great deal of it is food, but even more of it is non-food. People are amused sometimes when I explain that we just would not ever eat commercial canned soup, marinara sauce, or jam, because we make and can all that stuff ourselves. Same thing with yogurt- I make the best yogurt you've ever had (really, I'll take the Pepsi challenge on this) so even if I could get yogurt for free, I'm not going to. We are on a 1/10 acre lot in the city, so no livestock, sadly, but I don't buy ultra cheap milk, eggs, or meat. Our eggs are from a local farm and cost $3/doz, ditto cow and goat milk which cost $7-$10/gal, we get meat from a variety of sources depending on the type, but for beef, venison, chicken, goat, lamb, and pork, we know our farmers and DH does his own cuts and makes his own sausage and salumi. We do order bacon in bulk, thru a restaurant (we are friends with the owners) that is made from U.P. pigs and processed locally. None of this the cheapest, but if I have a choice, I am not going to feed my family commercial animal products at any price. I make soft cheeses, but I'll shop around for butter and hard cheeses because, sadly, I don't have much of a choice when it comes to those items. We also forage and garden intensively, so that takes care of a big chunk of frozen/canned/pickled fruits and veggies. We shop in season at the farmer's market, order SHARE for produce in the winter, and make all of our condiments except sriracha and mustard. We buy popcorn, yogurt cultures, wheat berries, rolled oats, white flour, brown rice, cooking oils, dry beans/pulses and spices in bulk. I don't buy baked goods (except hot dog buns), cold cereal, chips, or crackers.

So, back on topic, non food- I make moisturizer, sunblock, soap/shave/shampoo bars, conditioner/hair rinse (leave in and wash out versions), toner, facewash, deodorant, bug repellant, laundry soap, stain pretreat, fabric softener, dishwasher soap, glass cleaner, all purpose cleaner, furniture cleaner, and scouring powder. We have a zillion cloth things that really cut down on our paper use- bum wipes, Shmop w/many heads, hankies, washcloths, microfiber towels for cleaning. I have bought metal straws, bamboo ear cleaners (cuts way down on but does not eliminate QTips), serged minkee circles (to use like cotton pads when you are wiping your face or bug bite with witch hazel), a 1950s era safety razor (10 double edged blades can be had for $1, one side of each blade lasts about 5 shaves, so 1c/shave), I have stopped buying toothpaste and just use baking soda, use peroxide for mouthwash, use aloe as my shave and hair gel, use heating fuel wood pellets for cat litter (we have a pellet stove, so these are around anyway), bought some floursack towels (cuts way down on but does not completely eliminate cheesecloth use), gave up plastic wrap, bought a stapleless stapler, only get 1 envelope/stamp at a time, as needed, when I go to the P.O. once I discovered I could upload pictures to grandmas right on the Walmart and Walgreens websites!, and stopped buying cotton pads and nail polish remover altogether when I converted to water based, removes-with-rubbing-alcohol Honeybee Gardens nail polish. We buy giant rolls of tinfoil in bulk. I buy makeup, soapmaking supplies, aloe, sunscreen minerals, and a few other toiletry ingredients online.

We also are in the process of setting up a welding CO2 tank + tire air chuck carbonator to make our own carbonated drinks.

So, as those long winded paragraphs indicate, the number of things I actually use coupons for is far smaller than the number of coupons out there. Again, even if it's free, I don't want SLS in my toothpaste, aluminum in my deodorant, or toulene in my nailpolish, so I'll stick with my methods.

The non-food coupons I use are on primarily on first aid supplies/OTC meds, office/art supplies, ziplocs, Magic Erasers, canning supplies, pet food, and paper goods. Food coupons I use are primarily cheese, juice (fruit and veg), salt, sugar/Stevia, mustard, sugarless gum, coffee/tea, pectin, green/black olives and other fruit/veg (canned or fresh) that we can't grow here. I also use coupons for things like auto parts, services, and durable goods.

Because I don't use a wide variety of coupons, I don't bother getting the paper. I go to the "Sunday Coupon Preview" website, usually on Fridays, and I take notes on anything I might use. (It helps to know the lingo, at first when you look at these, it looks like Greek.)

Then I go to eBay or A Full Cup and look around to try to find multiples of the coupons I want. For example, I knew I would use the crap out of "$1.50 off two Magic Erao thsers" Qs, so I spent $2.50 and ordered 10 of them. (A single Sunday paper here costs $3.50, so this is cost effective.) Then, I hang on to the Qs.

The single biggest thing that people don't understand about coupons is that they only work well when they are combined with a sale or a store coupon. This is because the coupon discount comes from the manufacturer, and the store coupon or sale discount comes from the store. This is called "stacking", and it's how you get things cheaper than generics, at a deep discount, or free.

Like magic, about a week before the expiration date of the manufacturer coupon, all the stores will had Magic Erasers on sale. A box of two cost $1.50. After coupons, I was getting 2 boxes (4 Magic Erasers) for $1.50, or 43c/each. Normally, a box of 2 Magic Erasers costs $2, so each one is $1. So 43c each is almost a 60% discount. I bought 20 boxes of Magic Erasers, spent $18.40 (including tax and cost of the coupons + shipping) and got 40 Magic Erasers, which will last me at least a couple of years. (Yeah, my house is old and my kids are gross, so I go thru a lot of these.)

We are coming up to harvest season, so this is the time to be on the lookout for good coupons AND sales for ziploc bags, canning stuff, and school supplies. At the holidays, you will want to stock up on baking supplies, because that will be their lowest price all year.

I use a blog called Yooper Savings, because it lists all the weekly sales for stores in my area. She does a good job of matching the coupons that have come out ithe past couple months to the current sales. If there is an internet printable coupon that matches a sale, she'll link to it. A website called the Krazy Coupon Lady has a whole section of regional blogs, so you can find one that applies to you. This way, I don't have to go a whole bunch of store websites to look at their circulars, or go and find the physical circular in the case of the independent markets that don't have websites.

I know a bunch of people who just looovvvee Walgreens. I don't. It's in a very inconvenient location (for me) and has a convoluted coupon policy. Target and Walmart are both okay- they are 15 miles from my house, so I don't go there much, certainly not every week. My favorite store is Family Dollar, because they are already very cheap, they run sales and have store Qs regularly, they have a very straightforward coupon policy, they accept internet printables, and, best of all, they are within walking distance of my house. So shopping there is the backbone of my non-food strategy. If I was within walking distance of Target or Walgreens, I might feel differently- you have to tailor your strategies to your situation.

I did make a special trip to Target last week because they had some unbeatable stuff: their store brand witch hazel and peroxide were on sale, plus they had store internet printable coupons for " 75c off any Up&Up first aid item", so I got the witch hazel for 74c and the peroxide for free. They also had Nexcare band aids on clearance, and I had two nexcare manufacturer Qs, so I got four boxes of band aids for $1. I needed some pure DEET to get us through berry picking, and they had a 9 oz container of Deep Woods Off on sale for $7 (normally $10), plus a store printable Q for $1 off, and I had a manufacturer Q for $2 off, so I paid $4 for a $10 item. They also had Stride gum on sale, two 3 packs for $4, plus internet printable store Qs for $1 off two 3 packs, so I got 6 packs of gum for $3, or 50c each, when their normal retail is $1.25 each. They also had Ziploc storage box of 50 quarts and 40 gallons on sale for $2.50 each with a internet printable store Q for $1 off two boxes, and I had a manufacturer internet printable Q for $1 off two boxes, so I got 90 freezer ziplocs for $3.

To recap, I paid $12.26 (including tax) and got:

16 oz. peroxide
16 oz. witch hazel
4 boxes (80 count) band aids
6 packs (120 sticks) gum
9 oz. Off
90 ziplocs

The normal retail on this stuff is about $35, so I saved over 60%. Obviously, this is not what all we are going to need and use this week. This is what was cheap, so I will stash it away until we do need it, and that day will come, of course.

My favorite way to get toothbrushes and floss free/cheap is to find internet printables for Reach brand products. They are usually for $1 off. I take them to Family Dollar, where Reach items, including large floss, are usually priced $1.00- $1.25. So I might pay as much as .25c for something, but often it's free. I can go in with $2 and know that I will be able to get year's worth of toothbrushes and floss, which is pretty cool.

Sorry if this was too long, I hope it helps!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW!!! :bow :bow :bow

You are my hero!!!! Thanks for the details. I am going to have to try this.. you inspired me!!!! :weee

Thank you!!! And to me NO it was not too long it was awesome..

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A couple of small ideas that will help with non-consumables costs....

Bread storage: invest in a breadbox. This is what your great grandma used, and they work great. My husband makes bread every weekend, and using the breadbox keeps it fresh and delicious for the entire week (if it lasts that long, lol, not always a given)

razors: research has shown that you can at least double the life of your razors by drying them thoroughly after use (5-6 months instead of the usual 10 days to 2 weeks). Apparently microscopic rust causes more problems than any actually dulling of the blades.

cough drops: if you can grow horehound, it's not too difficult to make cough drops that really work. Alternately a syrup of honey and lemon is very soothing.

I am slowly replacing all my plastic containers with glass for a couple of reasons: plastics out-gas. glass is rodent-proof and can be sterilized. I've been running into a Catch-22 however... since I'm producing more of our foods here, I'm not buying as much from the store; so my source of free glass jars is drying up. I need to get some of my friends to start saving glass jars for me, but I suspect that they will be motivated to start switching to glass also when they find out, lol.

I've been making my own dog food for some time now. We make a wet food (5lbs hamburger, 3lbs brown rice and 3lbs veggies- they especially like sweet potato and green bean) and store it in the freezer in recycled tin cans with foil tops (both of which can be washed and reused many many times).

I started making my own when I found out just exactly WHAT goes into dog food (for instance, the city of L.A. alone provides something like 20,000 euthanized animals every month to dog and cat food manufacturers!!! the drug used to kill them does NOT get neutralized in the cooking process, and they don't even bother to remove things like collars before they grind up the animals.)

Since I started feeding my dogs myself, I have been amazed at the improvements: Their coats are amazingly shiny, they have lost the small amount of extra weight they were carrying, they are calmer and yet more energetic (does this make sense?). Currently the cost is similar to so-called premium dog foods, but I am searching out lower cost meats, and last week I scored on almost 12 lbs of ground beef that was reduced to $1.50 a lb. That gave me enough to make a month's worth for my two princesses!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, Brit. I'm really grossed out. And we only just got a puppy.

I'll start feeding him scrambled eggs (since our hens are really great at laying) when he's older .. will start working on recipes for an all inclusive dried dog food to make.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
A couple of small ideas that will help with non-consumables costs....

Bread storage: invest in a breadbox. This is what your great grandma used, and they work great. My husband makes bread every weekend, and using the breadbox keeps it fresh and delicious for the entire week (if it lasts that long, lol, not always a given)
I make gluten free bread but it never seems to stay fresh, don't know if that is the GF thing or storage(it seems to mold pretty quick if not in fridge or freezer). :(
I have used several bread boxes and they have not helped so I gave up on them(regular and GF bread).
I currently have a lock-n-lock (FYI I :love LOVE lock-n-lock ) container that I use, but have only use in the fridge.
Any suggestions??? I would love it to be fresh and room temp!!!! :celebrate

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have breadbox- I think it actually IS the one my DH's great grandmother used- but our issue is what to freeze the bread in.

I don't use any plastic containers for food, just plastic bags. This is entirely an issue of freezer space.

My source of glass jars was gallon pickle jars. Weird, I know, because we make pickles, but the jars full of pickles at Wallyworld were cheaper than the empty jars in the home furnishings area. So I spent $36 on pickles, which we did eat, eventually, and ended up with a dozen glass gallon jars.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Leta- Long posts are just fine when they are full of good ideas!
I want to start making yogurt. What kind of culture do you use?
That Honeybee Gardens nail polish is great. :) I got rid of the toxic ones a few years back. Breathing seemed kinda important.
I must be weird too. Gallon or 1/2 gallon pickle jars make great canisters.

I'm trying to replace plastics for kitchen use, but we just got a Tupperware bread box - free - from a friend that is moving away. It's old, so there is not a recycle code or anything to know what kind of plastic it is. I have cloth shopping bags, but want to make some for produce.

I made cloth menstrual pads, loved them and made some more. When I finally had a big supply, Mother Nature stopped sending me periods. I gave the ones I'd never used yet to a friend for "pissi (people in support of stress induced incontinence) pads".

Made tooth cleaner with baking soda, herbs and stevia to help the taste. Worked fine and barely costs anything. I cut up various sized strips of cotton as a replacement for bandages. Washed and dried on hot- then stored in a ziplock to keep them clean. Not up to hospital standards but good for basic needs.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been wanting those gallon pickle jars too but it never occurred to me that I don't HAVE to eat the pickles! We don't eat that many, and would never even in a year. I guess I could buy the jars and give the pickles to neighbors in baggies?

Wondering, do chickens eat pickles?

dbenton

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It really is hard to budget on consumables that you need outside food as you do not have direct control on how much you use.

Take toothpaste and deodorant for example, you can lessen the amount you use but that will probably take its toll on you, your hygiene specifically. Which is why I decided to take some crash course on soap making and we touched the basics on making deodorant. If I get to master it, I can start supplying my own and even go to the market with my own brand.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Leta said:
We have breadbox- I think it actually IS the one my DH's great grandmother used- but our issue is what to freeze the bread in.

I don't use any plastic containers for food, just plastic bags. This is entirely an issue of freezer space.

My source of glass jars was gallon pickle jars. Weird, I know, because we make pickles, but the jars full of pickles at Wallyworld were cheaper than the empty jars in the home furnishings area. So I spent $36 on pickles, which we did eat, eventually, and ended up with a dozen glass gallon jars.
Wow that is a good idea!!! But my DD's will eat the pickles LOL!!