Non-GMO, organic stores??

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I usually shop at Wal-Mart. Are there any chain grocery stores that are organic & non-GMO? I can't afford to shop at the specialty health food stores, everything at those stores is SO expensive. Knowing WHERE to get organic & non-GMO products is my biggest barrier to eating like I want to.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
I usually shop at Wal-Mart. Are there any chain grocery stores that are organic & non-GMO? I can't afford to shop at the specialty health food stores, everything at those stores is SO expensive. Knowing WHERE to get organic & non-GMO products is my biggest barrier to eating like I want to.
I could be wrong [Greenies come and get me:lol:] but all organic is non-GMO. Our normal supermarkets have orgainc produce sections Just look for the higher priced and less attractive produce and then check for the organic claim. If you are in a area that does not produce organic you might have trouble, but we have produce coming from mexico that claims to be organic. Whole Foods is the only chain I can think of.~gd

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into Whole Foods, see if I can find one :) I think that Organic pertains to the fact that no pesticides, hormones, etc, are used in the raising of it, but that Organic foods CAN be GMO... but I'd be thrilled to find that all organic is non-GMO! :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
~gd, not so dear, unfortunately. Some organic is actually GMO as well.

Blaundee, your best bet is to buy bulk with a co-op if you can afford the initial expense of getting stocked up or split it with like minded folk. A friend turned me onto this place, you can check to see if there are any reasonably local pick up sites and find out who coordinates and purchase schedules. www.bunchesmore.com Not every item is available at once, but it comes around. Maybe that will help. :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
~gd, not so dear, unfortunately. Some organic is actually GMO as well.

Blaundee, your best bet is to buy bulk with a co-op if you can afford the initial expense of getting stocked up or split it with like minded folk. A friend turned me onto this place, you can check to see if there are any reasonably local pick up sites and find out who coordinates and purchase schedules. www.bunchesmore.com Not every item is available at once, but it comes around. Maybe that will help. :)
Are you sure about this? It is my understanding that organic is, by definition, non GMO. I suppose it would be possible to grow out GMO seed in an organic manner - that is, no pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers - but can't imagine why anyone would want to do that on any scale large enough to sell to others, especially given the (what I've read to be) high price of the seed.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Alright- according to a search on Google... "100% organic" IS non-GMO, but "Certified Organic" is MOSTLY non-GMO. There are other levels of "Organic", too, but those apparently are the top levels.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, you're right. It was late last night when I replied, after a long day. I realize now that you were originally talking of organic "products" to buy, and I responded as to organic plants - that is "organic spinach" rather than"organic spinach casserole". The people who oversee such things (FDA?) have allowed the labeling terms to weaken (or have actively worked to weaken them) so that "organic" doesn't really mean what it use to anymore. All the more reason to buy, or grow, individual ingredients, and make your own whenever possible.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another reason to grow and make your own as much as possible is that, because organic products don't irradiate or use much in the way of preservatives, there is a greater chance of fungi or bacteria growing while they sit on the shelf.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Another reason to grow and make your own as much as possible is that, because organic products don't irradiate or use much in the way of preservatives, there is a greater chance of fungi or bacteria growing while they sit on the shelf.
I suppose i shouldn't mention that these risks are present in the field?